Senior Director, Software Engineering at Capital One (Washington DC)
Senior Director, Software Engineering
The Card Technology division at Capital One is on an exciting journey to transform the way we do business by building world class technology platforms that exceed expectations for our internal and external Customers. As a Senior Director of Software Engineering in this group, you will be responsible for working with senior Technology and Business Executives, understanding their Vision and translating it into Execution Strategy. You will be guiding software engineering teams that are responsible for the design and delivery of high quality software for critical business features, built on AWS to the latest technology standards. You will collaborate with the Architecture, Card Product, Card Technology and Enterprise stakeholders to drive this critical project forward. You will provide Technology thought leadership and help raise the talent bar by recruiting and hiring top engineering talent. You will also work with product owners to articulate benefits of proposed solutions; influence the technical roadmap; and help business prioritize work. If this sounds exciting, this role could be for you!
In this role, you will help drive technology strategy and adoption. You will help define and drive towards an end state that is based on simplicity and the adoption of digital technologies, cloud hosting, and open source software. In essence, you will work with stakeholders to make major Technology Investment decisions.
The person we're looking for:
- Is passionate about technology and is experienced in delivering complex projects
- Has depth and breadth of knowledge across multiple software engineering disciplines
- Is self-driven, actively looks for ways to contribute, and knows how to get things done
- Values truth-seeking and evidence over ego
- Hands-on with Cloud Native Architectures, in particular architecting enterprise applications on public cloud such as AWS
- Believes in "you build it, you own it" software development model, that good software development includes good testing, resiliency, monitoring, documentation, and collaboration
- Has excellent communication and reasoning skills, including the ability to make a strong case for technology choices
- Has ability to build consensus and iteratively improve solutions
- Firmly believes in leading by influence and by adding value
- Has experience communicating to senior Business and Technology executives
- Bachelor's Degree
- At least 9 years of experience with enterprise architecture, software architecture, or design patterns
- At least 7 years of people management experience
- Master's Degree
- 15+ years of experience working with business leaders on the implications of technology decisions
- 10+ years of experience with complex architectural patterns, building APIs, microservices, and event streams
- 5+ years in engineering delivery
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.
The minimum and maximum full-time annual salaries for this role are listed below, by location. Please note that this salary information is solely for candidates hired to perform work within one of these locations, and refers to the amount Capital One is willing to pay at the time of this posting. Salaries for part-time roles will be prorated based upon the agreed upon number of hours to be regularly worked.
Location is New York City: $315,100 - $359,700 for Sr. Dir, Software Engineering
Candidates hired to work in other locations will be subject to the pay range associated with that location, and the actual annualized salary amount offered to any candidate at the time of hire will be reflected solely in the candidate's offer letter.
This role is also eligible to earn performance based incentive compensation, which may include cash bonus(es) and/or long term incentives (LTI). Incentives could be discretionary or non discretionary depending on the plan.
Capital One offers a comprehensive, competitive, and inclusive set of health, financial and other benefits that support your total well-being. Learn more at the Capital One Careers website . Eligibility varies based on full or part-time status, exempt or non-exempt status, and management level.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at [email protected] . All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to [email protected]
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).