Senior Data QA Engineer
Hippo is modernizing the home insurance industry by putting customers at the center of everything we do, from the coverage we offer to the customer service we provide. Hippo’s true ambition lies in helping people protect their homes to begin with by leveraging technology and data to help find small issues before they become big headaches. Because, at the end of the day, the best home insurance policy is the one you never have to use.
We're looking for a talented Data Quality Engineer to help test our data warehouse and supercharge our data analysis capabilities. An ideal candidate brings curiosity, a passion for data, and a deep understanding of the technologies behind data pipelines, warehousing, big data, analytics and deep understanding of the software development life cycle . Prior startup experience and ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment is a big plus.
- Lead QA efforts through the design, implementation and support of new features and products and working with the data team
- Design test cases and prioritize driving automation
- Collaborate with the data engineers to improve automation, QA methodologies and best practices
- Work closely with data engineers, data scientists and analysts to inform solution designs to adhere to test driven developmen
- Building and automating testing frameworks around data ingestion pipelines
- Experience in working with large scale Enterprise data warehouse, data integration, data migration and data quality verification
- Performing ETL testing and validating against product specifications for transformation logic, data completeness and data types.
- Write complex SQL queries on tables with ~50 million records and ensure data integrity is maintained throughout the ETL lifecycle.
- Batch SQL scripts using UNIX cron.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Technology or any related field of study
- 5+ years of work experience in QA, preferably in data or relevant space
- Demonstrable knowledge, experience, skill and proficiency with the following:
- Scrum/Agile methodologies
- Unix / Linux environments; AWS / GCP cloud environments
- Knowledge of data pipelines using Python, UNIX/LINUX, Postgres, BigQuery, MySQL
- DBT and Shell scripting are a plus
- Orchestration tools, eg: Airflow
- Experience with Monte Carlo and/or Anodot is a huge plus!
Compensation and Perks
- Healthy Hippos Benefits- 100% Employer paid medical, dental & vision plan options for our team members AND their families (yes, you read that correctly). As well as 401K, long & short term disability, EAP and flexible spending accounts.
- Flexible Paid Time Off- Uncapped PTO (with manager approval)
- Hippo Habitat- Fun offices located in downtown Palo Alto, less than a 5 minute walk from Caltrain. We also offer commuter benefits including free parking pass. Stocked kitchen and BBQ Friday’s for all!
Hippo is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
Hippo’s applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to an applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Hippo applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Hippo’s People Team to make the need for an accommodation known.