We’re Coinbase. We’re the world’s most trusted way to join the crypto revolution, serving more than 89 million accounts in more than 100 countries.
Our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web 3.0 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
Coinbase stores more digital currency than any company in the world, making us a tier 1 target on the internet. As a Blockchain Security Engineer, you will join a premier team with one overarching goal: to secure funds and data from protocol through wallet.
Protocol refers to distributed ledgers, most often blockchains or similar data structures, achieving consensus despite adversarial behavior. This means that the Blockchain Security team is on the front line of knowledge and expertise about how these technologies work, and how they break: we are as “far down the crypto stack” as you can get.
Wallet refers to Coinbase systems that manage interactions with the blockchain network. These systems are critical to Coinbase’s mission, and it’s our job to bring blockchain expertise into the picture.
“Through” refers to everything in between, including smart contracts/dApps, signing services, node software, SDKs, and any other services relying on decentralized tech.
What you’ll be doing (i.e. job duties):
- Perform security assessments and threat modeling of assets, including various blockchain protocols, smart contracts, and other distributed ledger tech.
- Partner with software engineering teams to advise on code and architecture for internal asset integrations, including node software, wallet systems, and key management frameworks.
- Contribute code to in-house blockchain monitoring software to detect abnormal or malicious behavior (51% attacks, dangerous smart contract calls, validator misbehavior, and more).
- Investigate impactful changes to the space, asset upgrades, and novel innovations such as zero-knowledge proofs and bleeding-edge blockchain protocols.
- Publish blogs and give talks (internal and external) on newfound vulnerabilities, incident investigations, unique integration risks, and related topics.
What we look for in you (i.e. job requirements):
- Passion for learning about and working with digital currencies
- 1-3 years software engineering experience in the industry or education
- A team player attitude, able to collaborate and communicate effectively
- Passionate about solving complex security problems
- Comfort with failure, ownership of one’s own domain, and pride in quality
- Demonstration of our core values: clear communication, positive energy, continuous learning, and efficient execution
Nice to haves:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field
- Expertise in Go or Ruby
- Familiarity with application security
- Past experience securing digital assets
- Experience working on a remote first team
- Previous work in a high security and/or highly regulated industry
Pay Transparency Notice: Depending on your work location, the target annual salary for this position can range from $140,250 to $206,000 + target bonus + target equity + benefits (including medical, dental, vision and 401(k)).
Req ID: G1814
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Know Your Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.