We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
In our cars, you’re free to be yourself. It’s the same here at Cruise. We’re creating a culture that values the experiences and contributions of all of the unique individuals who collectively make up Cruise, so that every employee can do their best work.
Cruise is committed to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment, both in our workplace and in our products. If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, come join us. Even if you might not meet every requirement, we strongly encourage you to apply. You might just be the right candidate for us.
ABOUT THE TEAM
This role is working on the Ridehail product, helping us meet the company's 2024 expansion goals.
You will work on a full-stack team that owns the entire lifecycle for the customer; onboarding, on-trip experience, payments, user profiles, ratings and review, and much much more.
On the back-end, you will work on the services that power that user experience, including scaling those services to 100x our current scale.
You will have the opportunity to build new services, do load testing, apply distributed data architecture, and use a modern tech stack like K8s, GCP, spanner, and Temporal.
You will be working closely with Infrastructure, Product, SRE, In-Car Experience, and many other cross-functional groups, to build a world-class service.
Forge strong partnerships with Product Managers and Frontend Engineers, blending your backend insights with their feature ideas to design the best solutions for the business.
Work as a team to do load testing, identify scaling bottlenecks, and apply best-in-class practices to scale the Ridehail product to 100x scale.
Apply your existing cloud and scaling experience, and learn new skills, as we build services, implement pub/sub queues, move to Spanner, implement Temporal, and many other massive-scaling initiatives.
Use your amazing communication skills to articulate critical engineering problems and proposed solutions, to get buy-in from leadership.
Lead projects through all stages, from inception to deployment, using agile development, cross-functional engagement, documentation, engineering best practices, and consumer validation.
Mentor other engineers, fostering a high-quality technical standard across the team, and learn from Cruise’s amazing Staff, Principle, and Distinguished engineers.
Write clear and efficient technical documentation to align the business and knowledge-share across engineering.
Efficiently troubleshoot and debug code across our ridehail experiences to ensure a seamless user experience.
Continuously adopt new technologies, tools, and best practices to boost team efficiency and product quality.
Experience developing backend services for mobile applications (Android or iOS)
Experience working across a tech stack with React and Redux
Experience with distributed data messaging (PubSub, Kafka, etc.)
Familiarity with K8s, GCP, Spanner, Temporal
Passion for self-driving technology and its potential impact on the world
A minimum of 5 years of experience in software development, with at least 2 years of experience development using TypeScript.
BS in Computer Science, Math, Physics, etc, or equivalent real-world experience.
The salary range for this position is $139,000 - $204,300. Compensation will vary depending on location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. You may also be offered a bonus, restricted stock units, and benefits. These ranges are subject to change.
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Subsidized mental health benefits
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks available for non-remote employees
- Paid parental, jury duty, bereavement, family care, and medical leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
- Flexible Spending Account
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan for non-remote employees
- CruiseFlex, a working policy for US-Based Cruisers, lets you and your manager find the working style that’s best for you, whether it’s primarily in-person, primarily at home, or a combination of home and in-office time. - learn more about CruiseFlex here
- We’re Integrated
Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, T. Rowe Price, and Walmart have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
- We’re Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow. We offer a new kind of equity program called Recurring Liquidity Opportunity (RLO), which combines IPO-like liquidity with the stability of remaining private - learn more about RLO here
- We’re Safety Conscious
- We integrate #staysafe, our top priority at Cruise, into our everyday work. Through our Safety Management System, every Cruiser is asked to do their part by reporting any potential issues or hazards they observe and making continuous improvements. You’ll be able to contribute to safety at Cruise, no matter your job function or title.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives. We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, caste, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email [email protected].
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
Candidates applying for roles that operate and remotely operate the AV: Licensed to drive a motor vehicle in the U.S. for the three years immediately preceding your application, currently holding an active in-state regular driver’s license or equivalent, and no more than one point on driving record. A successful completion of a background check, drug screen and DMV Motor Vehicle Record check is also required.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.