Founded in 2017, Coalition is on a mission to solve cyber risk and create a safer digital economy where everyone can thrive. Digital risk is now a part of every business and it’s no longer solely the domain of technical teams. That’s why we combined comprehensive insurance with proactive cybersecurity tools to help organizations stay resilient to digital risks like cyber attacks, funds transfer fraud and much more.
Our team works collaboratively across North America and Europe to prevent security failures and provide both technical and financial help when incidents do occur. Today, Coalition is the world’s largest commercial insurtech serving over 130,000 customers including many small businesses that rely on Coalition to help them chart a path forward in the new digital world.
As of September 2021, Coalition has raised $520 million from leading global technology investors as well as highly-regarded institutional investors including: Index Ventures, Ribbit Capital, Valor Ventures, Durable Capital, T. Rowe Price Advisors, and Whale Rock Capital, valuing the company at more than $3.5 billion.
Coalition has experienced tremendous growth by helping organizations of all sizes solve real-world problems and by remaining true to our founding values of character, humility, responsibility, authenticity and diversity. That’s why we are proud to be named one of Inc’s Best Places to Work in 2021.
About The Role
The Senior Backend Engineer is a generalist role and we have many projects and tasks that you can take on - depending on your preferred area of focus. You will join our engineering team and work closely with our product design team. As such, this role comes with a significant amount of autonomy and responsibility. You should enjoy the challenge of building large, scalable infrastructure and components from the ground up. Broadly, we offer the following areas of work:
Our core platform is written mostly in Python with some services in Java and Go. We prefer to use the right tool for the job and make pragmatic decisions about how to scale and decouple systems as we continue to grow. We’re looking for someone who can navigate a cloud environment (AWS) with many moving pieces and systems to help the team understand how they fit into the broader puzzle.
- Designing and implementing features and services for business logic of the complex and nuanced insurance industry
- Writing REST APIs on the back-end, and consuming them on the front-end
- Implementing robust document generation and version management systems
- Writing back-end integrations with third-party services to aggregate data, process payments, send e-mails, sign documents, etc
- Systems and data engineering: due to the large amounts of data we collect, speed and efficiency are perpetual concerns for our multi-worker architecture
- Data science: using the data we have collected, designing risk-pricing models to better write insurance for technical vulnerabilities
- Infrastructure: container based development environments, scalable microservices and cloud-based hosting environments
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Python and one or more of its web server frameworks (e.g. Flask, Django)
- Golang with a demonstrable understanding of core HTTP REST implementations or OpenAPI/Swagger scaffolding
- React or other modern front-end development frameworks
- SQL, ORM implementations and design patterns, and pure relational data modeling patterns
- Demonstrable experience building scalable enterprise CRUD applications
- Solid understanding of enterprise architecture and design patterns
- Testing frameworks and CI/CD best practices
- Git and agile workflows
- Familiarity with our specific stack (Linux, Postgres, Python 3.7, SQLAlchemy, Flask, React)
- Golang service best practices for concurrent designs
- Deployment automation and scalable infrastructure
- Building service oriented architectures and distributed systems
- Knowledge of other useful web technologies: Redux, Webpack, ES6, TypeScript, etc
- Understanding of HTTP / REST security concepts, including common vulnerabilities
- Solid technical skills in both information security architecture and penetration testing
Coalition's culture is one that strongly values humility, authenticity, and diversity. We want to work with people of different backgrounds and different paths in life, and we trust our team members to take responsibility, share ownership and work for one another. We are always looking for collaborative, inquisitive and dedicated individuals to join our team.
Our culture is one of character, humility, responsibility, purpose, and authenticity. We are growing rapidly and that growth is enabled by strong teamwork, communication, and mentorship. We want people who are passionate about becoming experts in both the business and the technologies that support it.
Recent press releases:
Coalition Closes $205 Million Series E, Valuing the Cyber Insurance Provider At More Than $3.5 Billion
Coalition is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
More Information on Coalition
Coalition operates in the Cybersecurity industry. The company is located in San Francisco, CA. Coalition was founded in 2017. It has 618 total employees. To see all 35 open jobs at Coalition, click here.
Read Full Job Description