Reddit is continuing to grow our teams with the best talent. We're completely remote friendly and will continue to be after the pandemic.
"The front page of the internet," Reddit brings over 430 million people together each month through their common interests, inviting them to share, vote, comment, and create across thousands of communities.
Reddit is poised to rapidly innovate and grow like no other time in its history. Videos on Reddit have seen exponential growth and the Video Platform team has a huge responsibility to build a solid foundation to enable building engaging experiences. This role will encompass ownership of building the end to end platform, including implementation of backend APIs focused on quality and performance as well as setting up new services that expand and optimize our video capabilities.
Reddit is looking for a software engineer capable of building a highly robust, scalable, reliable and performant video backend that empowers the client platforms to build great video experiences. You will work closely with Backend Architects, Product Managers and other Video experts to deliver a best in class video platform that will advance Reddit’s video expansion efforts to bring community and belonging to everyone on the planet.
This is a high impact role where you will be involved in technical & product strategy, operations, architecture, and execution for one of the largest sites in the world.
- Languages: Python, Go, C++ or any object oriented programming language
- Libraries: Baseplate, GraphQL
- Databases: Postgres, Cassandra, Memcached, Redis
- Tools: Kubernetes, AWS, Ngnix
- Design and implement the next generation backend system that powers video experience on Reddit
- Work with client platform engineers to design and implement modular interfaces that enables them to craft compelling user experiences
- Explore new technologies that help grow our video capabilities and manage cost of our systems
- Champion and drive engineering processes and best practices
- Write efficient, scalable and maintainable code that will help us iterate quickly and safely
- At least 4+ years of experience as a software engineer developing backend/ platforms at scale, using Python. Go, C++ or any object oriented programming language
- BS degree in Computer Science, a similar technical field of study or equivalent practical experience
- Additional knowledge around GraphQL, REST, HTTP basics, and the ability to design maintainable APIs
- Having experience with video analytics and streaming video (HLS, DASH, FFMPEG) is a plus
- Strong organizational skills, the ability to prioritize tasks and keep projects on schedule.
- Experience designing and implementing performant, stable, and maintainable APIs
- Familiar with software engineering best practices such as unit testing and code reviews, design, and documentation
- Entrepreneurial spirit. You are self-directed, innovative, and biased towards action in fast-paced environments. You love to build new things and thrive in ambiguity and even failure
- Excellent communication skills. You collaborate effectively with teams in a fully remote environment and discuss complex topics with technical and non-technical audiences
Good to Have:
- Experience in building video processing / transcoding pipelines is a plus
- Having deep experience with CDNs and global distribution, machine learning and computer vision is a plus
Reddit is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at [email protected].