“The front page of the internet," Reddit brings over 430 million people together each month through their common interests, inviting them to share, vote, comment, and create across thousands of communities. Come for the cats, stay for the empathy.
At Reddit, we work hard to earn our users’ trust every day. Anti-Evil is a small and scrappy team, working closely with ops to defend Reddit’s integrity by fighting spam, abuse, bots, and fraud. Anti-evil team members are motivated to find innovative, state of the art solutions, leveraging ML models, data systems and user insights to pursue the highest possible quality and safety standards for users across our products.
As a Senior Backend Engineer on our Safety Core, Signals team, you will be in charge of designing and building scalable and robust systems to detect and mitigate safety violations across the Reddit platform. You will be deeply involved in the technical details of building highly available and real-time risk detection services in close collaboration with product, data science and operations teams to understand ever evolving attack vectors and to keep Reddit a safe and trusted community.
The Safety Signals team is responsible for the creation, evaluation and distribution of safety-related signals to Reddit including feature engineering and data science teams, our Ads and Machine Learning partners. There are still many unsolved problems, and we're looking for talented engineers to solve these challenges with us.
If ensuring the safety of users on one of the most popular websites in the US excites you, then you’ve found the right place. We’re a small, tightly-knit company with one of the highest user: employee ratios in the industry, giving you a tremendous opportunity for both scope and impact.
- Architect and implement the anti-evil infrastructure at Reddit.
- Leverage ML models to identify offending content and take appropriate actions.
- Increase efficiency through automation, improved signals, workflow streamlining and system optimization.
- Participate in the full development cycle: design, develop, QA, experiment, analyze, and deployment.
- Collaborate across disciplines to find technical solutions to complex challenges.
What We Can Expect From You:
- 5+ years of industry experience as a Software Engineer developing production code
- Experience with Python is preferred
- Preferred Experience in one or more of the following areas: Big Data analysis (Big Query, Presto, Hive), Message Queuing services (Kafka, Amazon Simple Queue Service), Hadoop, and distributed data stores (Hbase, Cassandra)
- Experience or desire to work on Machine Learning algorithms and end-to-end model development
- Exposure to design patterns of large, high-scale web applications, such as well-designed APIs, high volume data pipelines, and efficient algorithms
- Entrepreneurial and self-directed, innovative, biased towards action in fast-paced environments.
- Able to communicate and discuss complex topics with technical and non-technical audiences.
- Able to tackle ambiguous and undefined problems.
- Passion for delivering products end-to-end, from ideation through planning and scoping to implementation and experimental A/B testing