At Cisco Meraki, we know that technology can connect, empower, and drive us. Our mission is to simplify technology so our customers can focus on what's most meaningful to them: their students, patients, customers, and businesses. We’re making IT and security easier, faster, and smarter with technology that simply works. Meraki’s firmware containers team is a growing, quality-focused team reimagining the architecture that governs the code running on millions of physical devices in customer networks.
As a Senior Backend Engineer on the Product Containers team, you will collaborate with senior Rails engineers, SRE, firmware and other full-stack engineers to architect, design, and build large-scale container orchestration tools and systems that will handle containers on millions of devices in the wild. With help from product managers and UX designers, you will construct intuitive but powerful workflows that will be used by both customers and Meraki engineers. You’ll get the chance to work with a group of highly skilled but low ego and collaborative engineers, with deep experience from both established companies to startups.What you will work on:
- Solve challenging architecture problems to build scalable and extendable systems.
- Work with UX and PM to build intuitive and powerful workflows to handle containers
- Create and improve API endpoints that support our dashboard frontend and power users.
- Coordinate and align knowledge and opinions between firmware, SRE and dashboard developers.
- With the help of other senior engineers, implement sophisticated backend systems to handle container upgrades and installations.
- Write complex React forms and pages to help Meraki engineers and customers run the containers on their devices
- Identify and solve performance bottlenecks in our web application.
- Take complete ownership from conception to production release by leveraging your ability to influence, facilitate, and work collaboratively across teams.
- Lead, mentor, and spread best practices to other engineers on the team.
- Have 4+ years of experience writing professional production code and tests.
- 3+ years of experience in building rich web UIs with React (and Redux).
- 3+ years of experience in web backend technologies, like Ruby on Rails or Scala or Go.
- Can implement efficient database design and query performance in a relational database (we use Postgres)
- Experience with containers
- Strategic and product oriented approach with a desire to understand users
- Outstanding communication skills
Meraki is headquartered in the Mission Bay area of San Francisco, with beautiful views of the Oracle Ballpark and the Bay beyond. There are also locations in San Jose, Chicago, and Austin. All locations offer a generous benefits package.
Cisco requires all U.S. employees to be fully vaccinated or have an approved religious or medical accommodation. Candidates accepting an offer must provide proof of vaccination status on their first day. If someone anticipates requesting an accommodation for this requirement, they must receive approval before the start date. All offers of employment are contingent upon complying with Cisco's vaccination policy.
At Cisco Meraki, we’re challenging the status quo with the power of diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. When we connect different perspectives, we can imagine new possibilities, inspire innovation, and release the full potential of our people. We’re building an employee experience that includes appreciation, belonging, growth, and purpose for everyone.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.