Senior Backend Engineer, MX (VPN) at Cisco Meraki (South Bay or Remote)
At Cisco Meraki, we know that technology can connect, empower, and drive us. Our mission is to simplify technology so our customers can focus on what's most meaningful to them: their students, patients, customers, and businesses. We’re making IT and security easier, faster, and smarter with technology that simply works. Meraki’s firmware containers team is a growing, quality-focused team reimagining the architecture that governs the code running on millions of physical devices in customer networks.
As a Senior Backend Engineer on MX VPN team, you will collaborate with firmware and other Backend/SRE engineers to architect, design, and build a large-scale system running a Meraki VPN service. Meraki VPN enables secure connections between over a million network nodes and our customers rely on our products to serve tens of millions of people. With the large footprint that we have, quality is our highest priority. MX VPN team is responsible for delivering a simple to use but very powerful, scalable, and groundbreaking cloud-managed VPN service to customers. With help from product managers and firmware engineers, you will construct intuitive but powerful systems that will be used by VPN customers.
What you will work on:
- Solve challenging architecture problems to build scalable and extendable systems.
- Work with firmware engineers and PM to build intuitive and powerful workflows to handle containers
- Coordinate and align knowledge and opinions between firmware, SRE, and dashboard developers.
- With the help of other senior engineers, implement sophisticated backend systems to handle MX SDWAN & Security solutions.
- Identify and solve performance bottlenecks in our Backend architecture.
- Take complete ownership from conception to production release by leveraging your ability to influence, facilitate, and work collaboratively across teams.
- Lead, mentor, and spread best practices to other specialists on the team.
- 4+ years of experience writing professional production code and tests for large scale systems
- 4+ years of experience in Backend technologies (Ruby on Rails, Scala, Go).
- Can implement efficient database design and query performance in a relational database (Postgres)
- Experience with Container solutions (Kubernetes)
- Strategic and product-oriented approach with a desire to understand users
- Outstanding communication skills
Picture a beautiful office, balanced catered meals, fully stocked kitchens, an onsite gym, and paid time off to volunteer. Cisco Meraki has crafted an amazing equal opportunity focused office where employees thrive. We are confident you will love it here.
We encourage you to drop us a line even if you don’t have all the points above. That’s a lot of different areas of responsibility! We will help you pick them up because we believe that great engineers come from a diverse set of backgrounds
Cisco Covid-19 Vaccination Policy
The health and safety of Cisco's employees, customers, and partners is a top priority. Our goal is to protect and mitigate the spread of COVID-19 infection for strong business resiliency during the pandemic. Therefore, Cisco requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in the U.S., unless otherwise prohibited by applicable law, and in countries where COVID-19 vaccination is legally required. The company will consider legally required accommodations/exceptions for medical, religious, and other reasons as per the requirements of the role and in accordance with applicable law. Additional information will be provided to candidates about the requirements and accommodation process at the offer time based on region
At Cisco Meraki, we’re challenging the status quo with the power of diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. When we connect different perspectives, we can imagine new possibilities, inspire innovation, and release the full potential of our people. We’re building an employee experience that includes appreciation, belonging, growth, and purpose for everyone.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.