What we’ve built and are building:
Apptegy works with thousands of schools and school districts across the United States. For the past 6 years, we’ve been working on making our technology into a breath of fresh air. School leaders, superintendents and administrators have some of the most stressful and demanding jobs in the world. They are responsible for the safety, well-being, and education of thousands of students. Every day they juggle the roles of politician, disciplinarian, visionary, and accountant.
That’s why we focus on simplicity. By making everything simple, we lower the technical barrier so that any administrator can lead with the most powerful tools available.
In short, we are enabling school leaders to brand, market, and strengthen their schools. Amazing events and happenings occur in schools every day and our technology allows that to be shared across web, mobile, social media, and alerts with a single, simple-to-use tool.
As a Mobile Engineer you will...
- Enhance current mobile applications, while also helping to build new ones
- Work with other developers of various experience levels
- Participate in code reviews and write technical documentation
- Deliver clean and stable code (with tests!)
- Be an advocate for tech and engineering inside the company
What is expected of engineers at Apptegy?
We expect a lot of our engineers. We’ve been able to build an exceptional team that cares about their work and each other. We are incredibly proud of our team. We are also fortunate to have the opportunity to build products, platforms, and features that empower schools and school leaders to highlight their strengths and give the best opportunities to their students.
Self-driven & Always Learning: At Apptegy, we believe that the right people are intrinsically motivated. We have built a team of engineers that enjoy learning and take that responsibility seriously. Whether they are starting out on their career or well into their experience, they are still looking to improve on their weaknesses and to use their strengths to help others.
In short, they are naturally motivated to do meaningful work and they own their learning experience.
To quote one experienced engineer who joined Apptegy in 2020, “People here are like some sort of crack squad of commandos. They are running into what needs doing and doing it. They’re more likely to do too much than too little. This is an excellent team.”
An interest in Culture and Code: We reject the stereotype that engineers want to be left alone to work. In our experience, engineers care deeply about culture, empathy, and enjoying the people they work with. Many of our best engineers were as curious about culture as anyone in People or HR would be.
We have been able to create a high-performing and thoughtful culture across the company and that extends to and is made better by Engineering. That means you get time to do great work and you get to be surrounded by people who care about their work and you.
Speak up: In some companies, engineers have to wait their turn to speak up. You have to have a minimum number of years of experience to have a voice at the table. Or if you’re a senior engineer, you need to hold off until you’ve gained the trust of the veteran engineers.
At Apptegy, you have a voice from the start. Some of the best ideas have come from junior engineers that see things differently. We want the best ideas to win— no matter who it comes from. And those times when the best idea comes from someone else are an opportunity for you to learn and to increase your learning process.
What is true of you?
An aptitude for challenge & a track record of success:
- You have completed a four-year college degree ideally in Computer Science or similar (or without a technical degree, you have experience building successful products and platforms for 4+ years)
- 4+ years of in-depth experience developing Android mobile applications
- Experience building applications with Kotlin and Java with a desire to learn more about the Android framework.
- Success shipping more than one Android app to the Google Play Store.
- Top communication skills for both a technical and non-technical audience
- Experience working on at least one software development team supporting or creating production-ready work
- You have an impressive track record in your academic and work history
- You have been involved in decision making, architecting, or delivering robust backend features
Nice to haves:
You do not need to have all of the above, but these are some of the experiences that we are looking for in an Android Engineer.
More Information on Apptegy
Apptegy operates in the Edtech industry. The company is located in Little Rock, AR. Apptegy was founded in 2013. It has 214 total employees. To see all 29 open jobs at Apptegy, click here.
Read Full Job Description