What we do
At Civis Analytics, we bring objective, data-driven truth to organizational decision-making—from the boardroom to the world’s largest progressive social causes.
This mission isn’t an aspiration: it’s something we see realized every day, and it brings purpose to everything we’re working on.
We combine a sophisticated SaaS product with our specialized data science consultancy to empower tens of thousands of active users to make millions of data-driven decisions every month. From joining disparate data sources and automating reporting, to building more elaborate models of targeted audiences and optimizing messages for them, organizations like the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the City of Boston, and iHeart Radio trust Civis’s technology to make their most critical decisions.
Core to our product and consulting offerings is Civis Platform, which makes it easy to import, manage, transform, analyze, and report on data. Our customers love Civis Platform because it empowers them to focus on finding data-driven answers to their most critical questions—in other words, we empower them to run their business, rather than running a tech stack.
All employees either must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, initiate vaccination before your start date, or file an exemption request prior to start date per company policy for review. Due to the uncertainty of COVID-19, all Civis offices are closed and employees are remote until further notice. This is being closely monitored as the situation evolves. Although it’s likely our offices will reopen, positions hired outside of Civis office locations will be remote roles.
What we are looking for
Civis is seeking a Security Operation Engineer to join the Civis Information Security Team. This position will work with the Director of Information Security on setting and executing Civis’ zero trust security strategy and driving security engineering solutions to meet key security program milestones and cost objectives.
As a Security Operation Engineer, you will be responsible for championing infrastructure and operation security engineering, and driving SecDevOps, threat and vulnerability management and security best practices to ensure that the Civis is sufficiently protected against internal and external threats, as well as operating in compliance with SOC2 and FedRAMP requirements.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about security engineering and looking forward to implementing creative solutions to a wide variety of real-world technical issues. An ideal candidate would bring with them expertise in creative problem solving, the ability to work on multiple tasks in parallel, and the ability to manage expectations in a fast-paced environment, all while maintaining a high quality of work. We are looking for an individual who can rapidly adapt and learn new technologies/concepts.
- Lead Civis’ Security Engineering by working alongside engineering, IT and security teams to enhance the security of Civis information systems and to ensure our network infrastructure is well-protected.
- Responsible for identifying & remediating security weaknesses, evaluating/reviewing existing security configuration, and proposing improvements and cost-effective solutions for future enhancements.
- Develop, maintain and implement information security policies, standards and procedures and ensure projects related to Information Technology and Engineering adhere to Security by Design principles.
- Assess the risk of open source libraries, applications and architectures through threat modeling and communicating potential vulnerabilities.
- Help to define and implement SecDevOps and SDLC practices across Civis’s engineering team, promoting a security-first mindset.
- Perform continuous security assessments and penetration testing, report findings and provide recommendations to the Director of Information Security.
- Work with various stakeholders to automate mundane or time-sensitive tasks. Integrate automation scripts into the security architecture in a transparent and supportive manner to augment the team current abilities.
- Lead incident response events and activities.
- 1+ years of technical hands-on security engineering experience.
- 1+ years of information technology experience.
- Hands-on experience with Python scripting language.
- Familiar with industry security frameworks and tooling such as SASE, SWG, SIEM, NGAV.
- Experience building security monitoring and management controls using AWS Services such as Security Hub, Inspector and Guard Duty.
- Deep foundational knowledge in security engineering, information technology, networking, architecture, protocols, file systems, and linux operating systems.
- Passionate about security and promoting security culture across the organization.
- Ability to comfortably collaborate across IT disciplines and teams including third parties and be able to provide constructive input into the discussion.
- Ability to work rapidly with the pressure of completing deadlines and frequent interruptions in a fast-paced team environment.
- Attention to detail and understanding how systems-thinking can make an impact with smart moves in people, processes, and technologies.
- Provide emergency on-call support on a rotating schedule.
- Excellence in documentation of policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Strong problem-solving and process improvement skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Relevant industry security certification is a plus.
- Experience with cloud security is a plus; ideally AWS.
- Experience with SaaS products is a plus.
- Experience with data encryption and access control.
- Practical experience in implementing and monitoring information security compliance and frameworks (e.g., NIST CSF, CIS Top 20, FedRAMP, SOC2).
- Demonstrated ability to translate requirements into design and subsequent solution build.
- Experience applying security risk assessment methodology to system development, including threat model development, vulnerability assessments, and resultant security risk analysis.
Who we are
Civis offers opportunities for newcomers, seasoned professionals, and anyone in between. Our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily, and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas—no matter how big they are.
We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo, and finding new ways to help our company—and each other—grow.
Why join our team?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on solving interesting and meaningful problems, invested in internal promotion, and committed to fostering a diverse, equal, and inclusive workplace.
- Competitive benefits, including unlimited PTO; 401K match with immediate vesting; health, dental, and vision benefits; fully paid parental leave; breastfeeding support, including breastmilk shipping services for traveling moms; commuter benefits; wellness initiatives, including weekly group meditations; monthly on-site massage therapy; and pet insurance.
- To support employees in our now-fully remote work environment, we have expanded our virtual journal and book clubs, Donut Pals (organized virtual coffee meet-ups), Lightning Talks (five-minute presentations on anything you’d like), Lunch-and-Learns, and HR Open Discussions (bi-weekly meet-ups where we discuss ideas and topics of the day in a casual format). We are also able to support and accommodate flexible work from-home-schedules to help employees juggle their domestic responsibilities.
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees, and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
EEO IS THE LAW