SemanticBits is a leading company specializing in the design and development of digital health services for the federal government. The work we do is just as unique as the culture we’ve created, which is built around some of the most talented IT professionals in the country. We deliver our work using Agile methodologies to help the government solve their most technically challenging problems. The systems we develop are used to improve the quality of healthcare delivered to millions of people and revolutionize the healthcare industry on a nationwide scale.
SemanticBits is a remote-first employer and has been named a Top Workplace in 2021. Our corporate culture is built upon our mission-driven work, to help the government improve healthcare for patients and reduce cost. We value bringing individuals that are experts in their disciplines, highly communicative, and self-motivated to own their work. Technology and domain experts work side-by-side in highly dynamic teams that have all the roles necessary to deliver high quality digital services. In addition, critical to our success is forming teams of highly diverse individuals passionate about making a difference. This diversity and inclusion permeates every level of SemanticBits.
As a government contractor, SemanticBits requires that candidates must be able to obtain a Public Trust clearance and show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or obtain a religious or medical exemption.
SemanticBits is looking for a cloud Security Operations Engineer to keep our business, users, and data safe by assuring the security of our applications and platforms. This will be a highly collaborative position, in which the right candidate works to secure existing applications and platforms, makes platform and security enhancements, and helps to scale our security program through automation, process improvement, and tool creation.
The selected candidate will be required to work on multiple products and must be able to develop and present secure solutions and advice to technical teams as well as leadership. The candidate will further be required to assess risks and advise on security standards, best practices, and solutions. All this must be done by maintaining security quality and customer satisfaction.
- Maintain operational security posture for a Federal Information System
- Document System Security plan and Contingency Plans for related projects
- Document and evaluate security policies
- Ensure security systems are up to date and create documentation and planning for all security-related information, including incident response and disaster recovery plans
- Review policies and procedures for compliance with applicable standards; identify areas of improvement for finding remediation
- Interact with government security leadership, including the ISSO
- A Bachelor's degree or higher in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Information Assurance, Network Security Computer Engineering or a related field, or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of relevant experience
- AWS security services such as CloudTrail, WAF, Security Hub, Guard Duty, Macie, and Trusted Advisor
- NIST 800-53 security controls
- Implementing DoD STIGs
- Leading Incident Response
- Strong foundation in one or more of the following: Data management security, Authentication, Applied cryptography, Linux security, Network & Cloud security
- Advanced knowledge of Linux platforms
- Strong understanding of DevOps CI/CD Pipelines
- Strong technical acumen securing software and hardware. Understanding of software development and working experience with any one of the higher-level programming languages or scripting.
- Experience with security technologies such as security engineering, security architecture, cryptography, data security, risk management, identity and access management, communication and network security, security assessment and testing, software development security, security operations
- Familiarity with security assessment tools such as Nessus
- Thorough understanding of issues documents in the OWASP Top Ten and CWE Top 25
- Strong understanding of cryptography as applied to web application security (encryption, hashing, PKI management), including analysis and implementation
- Experience using Linux/Unix at the command line for tasks related to web application development and deployment (DevOps)
- Flexible and willing to accept a change in priorities as necessary
- A minimum of 3 years total residency in the United States over the last 5 years
- Able and willing to obtain a Public Trust security clearance/classification
Preferred Qualifications & Experience
- One or more of the following certifications is preferred; CISSP, GPEN, GXPN, Security +, CEH
- Prior experience as a developer or DevOps engineer
- Strong engineering background
- Application architecture experience
- Experience working in the healthcare industry
- Federal Government contracting work experience
- Prior experience working remotely full-time
Physical and emotional requirements for the job:
This position is to be performed remotely from the individual’s home office and involves sedentary work. Employees in this role can be expected to exert up to 10 pounds of force on occasion in order to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move standard electronic equipment. Employees are expected to make decisions in a timely manner and display emotional intelligence during occasional stressful situations.
Stipend for work station set up
Four weeks of PTO
Eleven paid holidays
One floating holiday
Comprehensive health benefits (medical with HSA option, dental, and vision)
Employer HSA contribution
401k retirement plan with matching benefit
100% paid short-term and long-term disability
100% paid life insurance
Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
Three weeks parental leave
Casual working environment
Flexible working hours
SemanticBits, LLC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are also a veteran-friendly employer.
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact 703-787-9656 x257 for assistance.
More Information on SemanticBits
SemanticBits operates in the Healthtech industry. The company is located in Herndon, VA. SemanticBits was founded in 2005. It has 370 total employees. To see all 29 open jobs at SemanticBits, click here.
Read Full Job Description