R&D Scientist/Engineer - Onsite - Rochester, NY at Casana
Are you a scientist or engineer who loves to innovate, face difficult problems head-on, and thrives in a fast-paced environment?
We are looking for an experienced, multi-disciplined scientist/engineer with strong trade-space intuition to join the R&D team to create future medical IoT devices that advance and augment the capabilities of our unique cardiovascular monitoring system. You will help us rapidly prototype and evaluate new concepts, and support transition to an FDA regulated product including post-launch engineering. You must be a hands-on team player with a passion for technology, attention to detail, strong design skills, with the ability to manage cross-functional teams. The successful candidate will be a clear communicator, able to work independently, thrive in a startup environment, and be open to taking on new responsibilities.
This position is based in Rochester, NY.
- Rapidly translate high level requirements into concepts for iterative test and refinement
- Utilize engineering/scientific principles, statistics, mathematics, and other quantitative and qualitative methods to support research and development of medical devices
- Document requirements, design, and test results consistent with the quality system
- Design and prototyping of integrated electrical, mechanical, optical and software systems
- Collaborate with a diverse team of engineers, developers, and designers
- Manage external consultants as needed to support prototype and advanced development
- Work with manufacturing for selection of sensors and production of electronics
- Work with our internal team and external partners to scope out new R&D opportunities
Required Skills and Experience
- PhD in science or engineering
- 3+ years of professional experience developing sensor-based systems
- Expert at sensor integration including signal processing
- Ability to work in a fast-paced team, and capable of handling multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent communications skills: Technical writing/presentation, verbal, interpersonal
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to seamlessly integrate theory with empirical data
- Exceptional attention to detail in calculations, hands-on experimentation, and documentation
- Active learner with the ability to rapidly become proficient with a broad range of hardware and software technologies
Desired Skills and Experience
- Design and implement embedded code using C/C++ for low power MCUs and ARM-based microprocessors for analog sensor data acquisition, storage, and wireless communication
- Familiarity with Python and PyQT
- Competency with statistical analyses
- Medical device design and production
- Electromechanical design experience
Casana solves the healthcare industry’s biggest challenge - adherence. The Heart Seat™, a toilet seat with a built-in cardiovascular monitoring system, is self-contained, cloud-connected, and installs directly on the standard toilet already in your home. The best part? All you need to do is sit.
This unique technology captures multiple key measurements, including heart rate, blood pressure, blood oxygenation, and cardiac output, enabling healthcare providers to be on the frontlines of preventative healthcare for chronic diseases. Backed by best-in-class VC’s and led by a CEO who founded and exited a tech unicorn to a successful IPO, Casana is innovating the frontier home-health platform built for ease.
Base salary range of $90,000 - $110,000 per year. Exact compensation may vary based on skills, experience and location. Our compensation consists of base salary and equity as well as a generous benefits package.
Casana provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.