R&D Engineer - Expression of Interest at The Walt Disney Company (San Francisco, CA)
We are looking for software engineers for our R&D team, to develop state-of-the-art computer graphics tools that help artists create photo-realistic visual effects for major motion pictures.
We're looking for both junior and senior software engineers in a wide range of specialties, with interests that span the entire visual effects pipeline:
- Modeling, rigging, animation, skinning, physically-based simulation
- Computer vision and data acquisition, facial modeling, performance capture
- Physically-based simulation of natural phenomena, procedural animation of crowds
- Compositing and image processing
- Virtual production, realtime rendering, in-camera visual effects
- Asset management, 3D scene representation and assembly, artist-facing pipeline design
What You'll Do
- Work in a collaborative, distributed team of full-time software engineers, and work directly with highly specialized and supremely talented artists, in ILM's studios in San Francisco, Vancouver, London, Singapore, and Sydney
- Develop specialized computer graphics software tools, techniques, and pipeline systems for a wide range of visual effects production applications
- Design artist-friendly user interfaces for authoring and interchanging 3D and 2D data as it moves between artists through the production pipeline
- Extend, optimize, and simplify a sophisticated network of automated batch processes
- Integrate commercial and open-source systems into the ILM production pipeline
- Work with and extend ILM's proprietary content creation systems
- Split time between long-term software development projects and day-to-day production needs
What We're Looking For
- BS or advanced degree in computer science or related field, or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated experience in professional software development and VFX production
- An intuitive understanding of the demands of a fast-paced, creatively-driven visual effects production environment
- Readiness to place confidence in others, be trustworthy, and play nice
- An ability to express yourself concisely, a willingness to speak up, and a conviction to keep everyone informed of progress and issues
- An ability to listen intently and interpret artists' needs
- An insightful and analytical thinker, and a creative problem solver
- Expert knowledge of programming in C++ and/or Python on Linux
- Thorough knowledge of computer graphics and animation concepts: character rigging, geometric deformations, dynamic simulation, shading and rendering, etc; expertise in a particular area is a plus; expertise in machine learning is a plus-plus
- Experience with commercial animation and VFX software applications relevant to the discipline, such as: Maya, Houdini, Katana, Nuke, etc.
- Knowledge of industry-standard open-source software and systems relevant to the discipline, such as: OpenGL/CUDA, USD/Alembic, OpenVDB, OpenCV, OpenImageIO, etc.
- Experience with GUI toolkits: Qt, PySide, etc.
- Thorough knowledge of software design/development principles: design patterns, object-oriented design, agile development, etc.
- Experience working with a large, complex, mature, and dynamic code base