Process Engineer - Advanced Cell Assembly at General Motors (Detroit, MI)
The Process Engineer for advanced cell assembly will work in a world-class environment for GM's next generation electrified vehicles to develop test plans to implement specifications on unit operations like welding, notching and stacking to achieve target performance metrics at the component and cell level for advanced cell designs. You'll develop, implement and verify specifications for ensuring quality, equipment efficiency and components alignment within advanced battery cell architectures. You'll work closely with the advanced cell design, engineering and operations teams to solve quality issues and implement mitigation measures. In this role you'll be able to develop and implement processing tools to analyze large quantities of in-line sensing data to improve process efficiency and yield.
This Role Offers the Following Work Appropriately Strategy: Onsite: This position requires an employee to be on-site on a full-time basis.
- Work with advanced cell engineering and manufacturing innovation teams to build component level specifications from cell-level requirements
- Execution of electrode notching, stack assembly, alignment, welding tabs working with station operators providing instructions and corrections to process parameters as needed to meet cell quality and daily yield targets
- Design tests to efficiently find opportunities for stack-design improvements; work with the cell design team to modify cell build specifications
- Analyze daily cell-production reports, design and implement DOEs to study the influence of process parameters such as weld-strength or stack pressure on long-term performance and safety of the cells
- Develop and implement closed loop and offline quality control solutions to evaluate and maintain component level metrics such as camber, thickness/compositional uniformity and alignment within target specifications
- Point person for developing and implementing process parameters related to unit operations listed above, optimizing electrode assembly process and ensure dry-cell quality during day-to-day cell builds
- Analyze data from one or more process steps to trace stack or cell-level issues back to the respective operation(s); identify and implement mitigation strategies
- Routinely monitor data inventory systems to diagnose and solve in-line faults, trace cell performance gaps to process parameters
- Build daily status reports; maintain active communication across different workstations and overall project team
- Work closely with the operations team to proactively schedule routine, preventive maintenance and coordinate any disruption to daily workflow with the project team; coordinate service requirements with vendor(s), keep inventory of consumable parts and maintenance schedules for station(s)
- Support requests from Advanced Cell team for process data and feedback on cell-build specifications in the form of presentations and/or reports that will feed into Bill of Materials and/or Bill of Design
- Keep abreast of industry trends, technologies, and best practices
- Adhere to all training and safety requirements
Basic Required Skills:
- Hands-on experience in assembling and characterization of battery cells and/or cell components, use of test equipment, visual inspection systems in a production environment
- Demonstrate excellent level of analytical ability, communication and interpersonal skills required to build relationships with team members and customers to solve problems and resolve issues.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple and complex projects and assignments with autonomy and accountability for results
- Good understanding of major automotive subsystems and battery architectures
- Proven ability in project management skills and ability to teach others
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering or equivalent
- Master's degree in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Controls Engineering, or equivalent
- Statistical Background and Certifications
- Prior experience or knowledge in plant design and/or turnkey cell-assembly lines
- Demonstrated technical knowledge and ability in relevant disciplines (e.g., chemical handling, electrical safety, battery materials)
- Experience with and/or knowledge of relevant battery control and safety technologies (e.g., Vehicle battery systems, high voltage hardware) and standards
- DFSS Black Belt
For GM Internal Candidates : This role is posted both as a 6th and 7th level. The determination by HR and the Hiring Manager as to whether an offer will be lateral or promotional will be based on a candidate's relevant experience and whether the role will amount to a significant increase in level of responsibility.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day - individually and collectively - to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being-at work and at home-so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at [email protected] or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.