Principal Software Engineer at Chewy (Minneapolis, MN)
Chewy is growing! We’re looking for a Principal Engineer, Storefront Engineering to join our team developing Chewy.com in either Boston, MA, or Minneapolis, MN. Chewy is THE go-to online shopping destination for all things pet and we are continuously striving to delight pet parents with a seamless experience across our platforms.
- Are you inspired by innovation?
- Is problem-solving through teamwork in your DNA?
- Do you like the idea of seeing how your work impacts the bigger picture?
- Are you excited about developing solutions focused on providing a delightful customer experience?
- Are you able to easily adapt to meet the needs of our continuous business growth?
If your answer is yes, read on...
Storefront engineering team is seeking a talented and motivated Principal Engineer within our Storefront Shopping Experience Org. The team is responsible for powering Chewy.com’s Home Page, Navigation, My Account, Product Details Page, Near Real-Time Analytics & Platforms. As a Principal Engineer, you will lead in innovating, designing, and building services and frameworks that enable Chewy.com provide solutions to several business and technology initiatives. Delivering reliable and high-performance services and features at Chewy’s scale requires technical leaders with extraordinary expertise and boundless creativity. At Chewy, Principal Engineers are constantly innovating, developing frameworks, establishing governance and defining the architecture for our next generation platforms. They understand our business goals, collaborate with other leaders, innovate rapidly, delivering high-quality and high-value functionality.
What does it take to thrive as a Principal Engineer at Chewy? You need to be innovative, creative, responsible, and curious while leading a team of engineers to move quickly to deliver results for our customers. You’re excited about designing and implementing solutions that scale and engage customers to understand what’s needed to meet their needs. You’re able to think about platforms, architecture, design principles, understand operational implications, and lead us in evolving our service architecture in the course of a single conversation. You’re looking work with engineering leadership and mentor a team of bright, capable engineers to implement your vision.
What You’ll Do:
- Lead an engineering team to produce high quality, on-time solutions to address business needs
- Design, develop and implement large scale distributed systems with large volumes of data focusing on scalability, latency and fault tolerance
- Bring an expert understanding of the systems, their dependencies, have the ability to forecast and mitigate challenges every effectively
- Hold a high bar for the quality of the architecture and design of systems. You have the innate ability to keep it simple too
- Drive innovation through rapid prototyping and iterative development
- Work with a team of highly skilled engineers, developing and enabling highly scalable platforms to power our ecommerce ecosystem
- Be the expert when it comes to design principles, service-oriented architecture and developing applications of scale in the cloud while maintaining knowledge on industry innovations, trends and practices
- Set engineering excellence to the team and have the drive to focus on scalability, resiliency, high availability & performance of applications
- Recruit, hire, and mentor exceptional software and quality engineers
- Actively mentor engineers, build and foster a strong engineering team culture and be a key contributor in raising the bar of the engineering org
- Generate and analyze engineering metrics to inform leadership in making data driven decisions
- Champion quality initiatives and best practices to enable the team to continue to develop high quality, maintainable, and performant code
- Effectively communicate with and influence key stakeholders across the enterprise, at all levels of the organization
- Display excellent verbal and written communication and be able to convey dissenting opinions in a constructive manner, particularly written communications
What You’ll Need:
- Demonstrated history of implementing and managing significant software development projects
- Exceptional leadership, communication and project management skills
- 15+ years of industry work experience
- 10+ years of experience leading and developing large scale projects and initiatives
- 10+ years of software engineering experience with Java
- Strong expert experience in cloud native technology stack and service-oriented architecture
- Clear understanding of emerging technologies and ability to apply those principles in solving critical business needs
- Ability to collaborate effectively with a diverse, talented team
- Experience in service-oriented architecture
- Experience in designing, building, deploying, managing, monitoring, troubleshooting, and supporting large scale web applications
- Familiarity/experience with quality engineering concepts and tools
- Experience in identifying and navigating organizational changes, a keen interest in the latest trends in engineering and leadership, and an above average emotional intelligence
- Degree in computer science, Mathematics, Statistics, Economics or another related field
- Position may require travel
- Strong engineering background building Products that are ecommerce scale
- Prior roles in Ecommerce or in technology companies
- Working experience with Amazon Web Services
- Experience in Test Driven Development
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or similar law, or you require a religious accommodation, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Chewy, please contact [email protected]