Principal Software Engineer (remote) at Ad Hoc (Columbus, OH)
This is a fully remote position.
Work on things that matter
Ad Hoc is a digital services company that helps the government better serve people through modern technology and product development practices. Some examples of the services we support include Healthcare.gov and VA.gov, both of which are used by millions of people. We help implement modern technologies that government agencies are increasingly interested in, bringing in best practices as we do: among other things, this includes API design, implementation, and governance; platform infrastructure for developers; responsive, accessible websites; and mobile applications.
As part of the Innovation Team, you will help stimulate an environment for innovation and entrepreneurship. You will cultivate innovative approaches to business challenges and work with teams across Ad Hoc to deliver useful and customer-centric products and services.
Principal Software Engineers are expert engineers with significant technical experience and exposure. They have demonstrated success and expertise with large systems. While they are capable of leading large teams and understand the nuance of interactions between people, technical systems, and processes, they are most influential as thought leaders who proactively create new areas of opportunity for the company and programs within their sphere of influence.
As a Principal Software Engineer, you will be responsible for:
- Demonstrating significant technical competence and ownership to broad audiences while driving progress on company strategic objectives at multiple levels.
- Maintaining a wide and productive sphere of influence within and outside the company.
- Generating and articulating technical strategy to diverse audiences, both technical and non-technical
- Proactively creating and exploring new areas of opportunity for the company.
- Shaping future work streams from clients on their program and related programs, with a focus on overall client success.
- Mentoring, guiding, and coaching other engineers at the company, with a focus on technical excellence and leadership.
- Defining and delivering minimal viable products independently or with new teams given ambiguous requirements.
- Maintaining strong ties and familiarity with at least one major technical ecosystem (through either maintenance or participation in major communities and projects).
- Shipping software that impacts the lives of millions of people.
- Using modern programming languages and frameworks to build scalable services that gracefully integrate with legacy systems.
- Working with our own APIs and third-party APIs to build amazing, effective digital services.
- Helping us continuously, iteratively improve.
- An Entrepreneurial and Innovative approach to software development
- business process reengineer must have experience in the analysis of IT business and information environment and be able to effectively recommend and implement improvements to the business and data architectures that will improve overall agency performance.
- A minimum of seven years of experience with open source languages and frameworks
- A deep understanding of full stack development.
- Experience integrating API endpoints that support our digital services as well as third-party services.
- Solid spelling, grammar, and communication skills.
- A commitment to agility, flexibility, and iteration.
- Experience and understanding of at least one agile methodology, such as Scrum, XP, Kanban, or SAFe.
More than that, our ideal candidate wants to contribute to work that is bigger than themselves and wants to make a difference collaborating with their team. They care deeply about building better products, better relationships, and better trust in each interaction people have with their government. They believe in intuitive, easy-to-use government services. They collaborate well with designers, stakeholders, and other teams. They mentor and guide more junior engineers. They’re human-centered.
And if you don’t check every box on the list? That doesn’t mean you can’t help us in our mission to deliver critical government services. Talk to us!Some basic requirements
- All work must be conducted within the U.S., excluding U.S. territories. Some federal contracts require U.S. citizenship to be eligible for employment.
- You must be legally authorized to work in the U.S now and in the future without sponsorship.
- As a government contractor, you may be required to obtain a public trust security clearance.
- 10 Years of professional experience
- Bachelor's Degree Business Discipline
- Educational Substitution: 8 Years of additional relevant experience may be substituted for education.
- Our technical screening involves completing a homework assignment that is then graded blind to remove bias. We do not do tricky, unreliable whiteboarding tests. You can read more about our homework here.
- Company-subsidized Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Use What You Need Vacation Policy
- 401K with employer match
- Paid parental leave after one year of service
- Continuing education/annual conference attendance stipend
Ad Hoc LLC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.
In support of the Colorado Equal Pay Transparency Act, and others like it across the country, Ad Hoc job descriptions feature the starting range we reasonably expect to pay to candidates who would join our team with little to no need for training on the responsibilities we've outlined above. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide range of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, and responsibility. The range of starting pay for this role is $135,771 - $174,227 and information on benefits offered is here. Our recruiters will be happy to answer any questions you may have, and we look forward to learning more about your salary requirements.