Join the team as our next Principal Software Engineer (L5)Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we have presence throughout South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. We're on a journey to becoming a globally anti-racist, anti-oppressive, anti-bias company that actively opposes racism and all forms of oppression and bias. At Twilio, we support diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.About the job
This position is needed to develop the most trusted and secure email platform. The scope of this role offers candidates a significant opportunity to further empower our customers to be good senders & drive key insights from user interaction.Responsibilities
In this role, you’ll:
- Provide technical leadership by promoting best practices, driving innovation, and designing multi-organizational processes and systems.
- Partner with architectural and engineering leadership to define and execute on technical roadmaps.
- Constantly look for areas of improvement in systems and optimize. Be an advocate for balancing tech debt and feature development.
- Lead incident troubleshooting, remediation, and prevention efforts
- Cultivate a culture of ownership, growth, and empowerment by mentoring engineers and sharing technical expertise.
- Communicate effectively to executives, to your peers, and internally among your stakeholders.
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- 10+ years of work experience building and operating highly scalable products with a focus on data-intensive systems.
- Strong experience with Golang, Java, or similar technologies.
- Strong theoretical fundamentals and hands-on experience designing and implementing highly available, performant fault-tolerant distributed systems.
- Prior experience leading the technical decision making process including an ability to prioritize effectively and bring stakeholders together.
- Strong communication skills and desire to make an impact and thrive in collaborative and energetic teams.
- Understands the value of monitoring with metrics and alerting. Knows how to build resilient systems that are maintainable for years to come.
- Degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent work experience.
- Experience with Big Data systems. Deep understanding of SQL and distributed databases like ScyllaDB, Clickhouse, Dynamodb, Snowflake, Cassandra, MySQL.
- Experience delivering software using Containers/Kubernetes in production environments.
- Understanding of cloud technologies and experience in at least one cloud platform: AWS, GCP, or Azure.
This role will be remote friendly, working closely with teammates in Mountain View, Irvine and Denver, among other remote locations.
Approximately <10% travel is anticipated and is optional.What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
*Please note this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well. The information below is provided for those hired in Colorado only.
*If you are a Colorado applicant:
- The estimated pay range for this role, based in Colorado, is $176,080 - $220,100.
- Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state. This role is also eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan and for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.