Principal Geotechnical Engineer at AECOM (Dallas, TX)
AECOM is seeking a Principal Geotechnical Engineer focused on levees and dams to work remotely from within the United States.
At AECOM, we're delivering a better world.
Our clients trust us to bring together the best people, ideas, technical expertise and digital solutions to our work in transportation, buildings, water, the environment and new energy. We're one global team - over 50,000 strong - driven by a common purpose to deliver a better world.
With more than 3,200 Water professionals in all major markets throughout the United States and Canada, AECOM's Water business line leverages nearly a century of local, national and international project experience to provide today's municipalities, industries and governments with cost-effective solutions to their Water challenges. We deliver our services-from planning studies to detailed design, construction management, and operations and maintenance-to a wide range of public and private sector clients. Our flood risk reduction work includes rural and urban levees, riverine and hurricane levees, dams of all sizes, types, and hazard classifications, pump stations, erosion control, sediment diversion, ecosystem restoration, floodgates, and much more.
This position is a geotechnical discipline lead and/or Project Manager on a variety of projects. The immediate major focus is flood risk reduction system designs for the USACE and other government and private entities. Additional projects include transportation, buildings, environmental, etc. Water Business Line projects include flood risk reduction projects related to stormwater pump stations, bank stabilization, dams, levees, floodwalls, etc. for federal, state, local, and private clients. A heavy focus of this team is the Coastal Storm Risk Management system along the Gulf Coast in Texas and Louisiana.
The responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Plans, directs, and supervises operations included in a large, complex project or multiple moderately sized projects with greater risk and complexity, and significant financial impact
- Completes project management-type tasks like oversight of geotechnical budget, schedule, and resources
- Plan, schedule, conduct or coordinate detailed phases of the geotechnical engineering aspects of the project, focusing on the unique or controversial problems
- Resolves complex issues
- Provides direction to and mentoring to other technical staff in completing project tasks
- Performs ITRs of engineering reports and designs
- Acts as primary point of contact with client and has full responsibility for project delivery
- Competent to serve as Engineer-of-Record on DBB and DB projects
- May be responsible for Project teams that include 10 or more members
- Regularly develop and evaluate project plans
- Provide advice and consultation to client on geotechnical engineering matters, including compliance with government laws and regulations
- Project leadership in the areas of design, analysis, and construction on various projects
- Develop project proposals and work with business leader on overall strategy to grow the team
- BA/BS 10+ years of relevant experience or demonstrated equivalency of experience and/or education
- 20+ years of progressive experience in geotechnical engineering
- Master's degree in Geotechnical Engineering from ABET-accredited institution
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering from ABET-accredited institution
- Significant geotechnical design experience.
- Experience with: USACE projects and design requirements; Dam and/or levee design; technical leadership within the area of geotechnical involvement for flood control projects including dams, levees, stormwater pump stations, channel improvements, etc; and alternative delivery and DBB projects
- Professional Engineering License and the ability to obtain PE license in 6 months in both Texas and Louisiana.
- Expertise with and ability to make informed decisions regarding drilling, field investigations, laboratory testing, advanced material characterization, seepage analysis, slope stability analysis, settlement, and construction of dams, levees, channel improvements, and other heavy earthwork projects.
- Understanding of expansive soils in Texas and/or soft soils in Louisiana and their impacts to design.
- Experience in various construction techniques and phasing to help develop unique, cost-effective solutions for our clients.
- Sponsorship is not available for this position
- Exempt Position: Offered rate of compensation (Colorado locations only) will be based on individual education, qualifications, experience, and work location. The salary range for this position is $130,000 - $180,000
- AECOM is proud to offer a comprehensive benefits program to meet the diverse needs of our employees. Depending on your employment status, AECOM benefits may include medical, dental, vision, life, AD&D and disability benefits, paid time off, leaves of absence, voluntary benefits, perks, wellness and global well-being, and global EAP, Business Travel and Service Awards programs.
What We Offer
We will give you the flexibility you need to do your best work with hybrid work options. Whether you're working from an AECOM office, remote location or at a client site, you will be working in a dynamic environment where your integrity, entrepreneurial spirit and pioneering mindset are championed. You will help us foster a culture of equity, diversity and inclusion - a safe and respectful workplace, where we invite everyone to bring their whole selves to work using their unique talents, backgrounds and expertise to create transformational outcomes for our clients. We will encourage you to grow and develop your career with us through our technical and professional development programs and diverse career opportunities. We believe in leadership at all levels. No matter where you sit in the organization you can make a lasting impact on the projects you work on, the teams and committees you join and our business. We offer competitive pay and benefits, well-being programs to support you and your family, and the development resources you need to advance your career. When you join us, you will connect and collaborate with a global network of experts - planners, designers, engineers, scientists, consultants, program and construction managers - leading the change toward a more sustainable and equitable future. Join us and let's get started. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours.
Job Category Engineering - Geotechnical
Business Line Water
Business Group Design and Consulting Services Group (DCS)
Strategic Business Unit West
Country United States of America
Position Status Full Time
Requisition/Vacancy No. 272993BR
Additional Locations US - Austin, TX - 13640 Briarwick Drive, Suite 200, US - Baton Rouge, LA - 8555 United Plaza Blvd Suite 300, US - Fort Worth, TX - 801 Cherry Street, Suite 1050, US - Houston, TX - 19219 Katy Freeway, US - New Orleans, LA - 1555 Poydras St
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.