Machines that Move Us.
People who Inspire Us.
Stories that Drive Us.
Check us out: http://bit.ly/MotorTrendG
*MotorTrend Group will never ask for sensitive personal information or fees as part of your application process*
MotorTrend Group is the largest automotive media company in the world. MotorTrend Group, a Warner Bros. Discovery company, is the largest automotive media company in the world, bringing together MotorTrend TV and a vast automotive digital, direct-to-consumer, social, and live event portfolio, including MOTORTREND, HOT ROD, ROADKILL, AUTOMOBILE and more than 20 other industry-leading brands. With a monthly audience of 26 million across web, TV and print, and 110 million social followers, culminating in 1.3 billion monthly impressions across all platforms, MotorTrend Group encompasses television’s #1 network for automotive fans, a leading automotive YouTube Channel and MotorTrend+, the only subscription streaming service dedicated entirely to the motoring world. MotorTrend Group serves to embrace, entertain and empower the motoring world.
An institution in the automotive industry, we have been delivering premium content, in depth analysis, and culturally relevant material since 1949. We celebrate our heritage, while boldly looking to the future — reimagining motor entertainment for a broader, more diverse audience. MotorTrend Group has remained ahead of the automotive world and developed the single most relevant resource for any auto enthusiast and in-market shopper.
The people who work at MotorTrend embody the passion of our content, and wake up every day intent on embracing, entertaining, and empowering the motoring world.
Job Summary & Responsibilities:
The Principal Engineer/Architect position (full-time, salaried, regular) will help develop the next generation of MotorTrend Group’s platforms. The role will be the lead architect in overseeing the design and implementation of core services and infrastructure solutions for MotorTrend Engineering. This includes work across streaming, editorial, and car buying services. Looking for a tech leader with a broad knowledge across all facets of technology to lead and make significant impact and decisions.
Essential duties and responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Architect and implement applications for problems of scale.
- Present to executive leadership and technical teams
- Provide technical expertise and troubleshooting
- Lead as technical expert for software project and planning efforts.
- Consult and lead on overall software architecture and strategy and drive high impact decisions.
- Collaborate with other teams on prioritizing roadmap initiatives and to provide estimations.
- Enforce standards, best practices, and modern development conventions.
- Mentor junior and senior engineers, overseeing their designs, code quality, and integration into a team.
The ideal candidate has a track record of having built multiple enterprise-wide high-performance, stable, scalable systems that have been successfully shipped to customers in production. Your work and your approach to work are exemplary: you drive best practices and set standards for your team. You are a key influencer in your team’s strategy and contribute significantly to team planning. You show excellent judgement making trade-offs between immediate and long-term business needs. You are a collaborative leader that makes other engineers and team members around you more productive, by sharing your knowledge, and helping to tie-break key technical decisions. You provide mentoring to other engineers. Your written and oral communication skills are superb.
- This position will not include supervising one or more employees where applicable.
- BA/BS in a Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent professional experience.
- 10+ years of experience in a software engineer/developer/architect related position, building applications for high-use enterprise customer facing solutions.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Strong knowledge architecting applications on top of high-traffic, high-availability production systems.
- Strong knowledge with optimizing for performance, scalability, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis.
- Strong knowledge of current software engineering design standards and best practices.
- Strong knowledge building backend services on public cloud platforms (e.g.- AWS).
- Strong knowledge of streaming video technologies.
- Strong experience with mobile and connected TV devices.
- Strong experience with user data, identity, and/or personalization.
- Strong experience owning Operational Excellence for high-demand consumer products.
- Strong knowledge integrating of 3rd party API’s, libraries, and frameworks.
- Strong working knowledge of CI/CD principles with tools like Git, Bamboo, or Jenkins.
- Recent experience working in an Agile delivery environment (Scrum) a must.
- Working knowledge of source code management using GIT, various workflows, and popular branching models.
- The ability to sit for prolonged period of time and view computer screen.
- Google Suite
- Work is performed in an office environment that is well lit and ventilated.
NOTE: This position description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict any other tasks that may be assigned.
*A warning about recruitment scams*
Unscrupulous individuals sometimes pose as MotorTrend Group recruiters and mislead jobseekers into providing sensitive personal information (such as social security numbers) or paying fees as a condition of submitting an application to MotorTrend Group or obtaining a job at MotorTrend Group. These individuals or entities posing as recruiters are not affiliated with MotorTrend Group and do not act on behalf of MotorTrend Group. Always utilize the MotorTrend Group Careers page https://boards.greenhouse.io/motortrendgroup to find available openings and whenever submitting a job application to MotorTrend Group, and know that MotorTrend Group will never ask for sensitive personal information or fees as part of your application.