Principal Engineer - Virtual World Infrastructure at Motional
The Virtual World Infrastructure (VWI) team builds the tools supporting the simulation, testing and debugging of the Motional autonomous system. The Principal Engineer will support the VWI team by driving software initiatives and strategy across the VWI teams in collaboration with the Motional engineering organization. Initiatives include simulation, sensor modeling, log playback, log augmentation, 3D world generation, metrics, and autonomous vehicle data visualization. The Principal Engineer will have the opportunity to drive next-generation technology initiatives, shape software vision for the Virtual World Infrastructure teams and take a leading role in the execution of these initiatives.
What You'll Be Doing
- Define technical strategy and tooling solutions supporting autonomy, software test and system validation customer teams.
- Develop system architectures and lead cross functional initiatives building comprehensive testing solutions.
- Drive technology innovation and development initiatives and execute outcomes that will guide new technology investments and implementation decisions.
- Apply deep software development expertise to teach others better software practices and principles.
- Deep dive on specific technical issues and implement solutions in collaboration with stakeholders.
What We're Looking For
- Expert in autonomous vehicle simulation software solutions or related technical areas such as flight simulation systems or other real time modeling systems.
- Advanced knowledge of software engineering principles including software design, source control management, build processes, code reviews, testing methods.
- Expertise implementing complex software systems and deploying on production systems
- Collaborated with geographically dispersed team
- Master of Science degree or higher in Computer Science or relevant field.
- Relevant technology and architecture leadership experience in the simulation domain.
- 10+ years of professional experience and a track record of delivering complex software systems
- Modern C++
Bonus Points (not required)
- Experience in safety-critical applications and hard real-time constraints is a bonus.
Motional is a driverless technology company making self-driving vehicles a safe, reliable, and accessible reality.
The Motional team is made up of engineers, researchers, innovators, dreamers and doers, who together are creating a first-of-its-kind technology with the potential to transform the way we move. We’re behind some of the industry's largest leaps forward, including the first fully-autonomous cross-country drive in the U.S, the launch of the world's first robotaxi pilot, and operation of the world's most-established public robotaxi fleet.
As a leader in an emerging industry that has the promise of creating safer, more reliable and accessible transportation for all, it’s imperative we have a diverse workforce, create an inclusive culture, and understand the communities we operate in around the world.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is fundamental to Motional’s success. That’s why we’ve established a team to ensure DEI is at the forefront of the candidate and employee experience, beginning with the hiring process and continuing throughout your career. We also partner with organizations like the National Society of Black Engineers, the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, and the Society of Women Engineers to ensure our DEI work is informed by the latest thinking and approaches.
Strategically formed by Hyundai Motor Group and Aptiv, Motional is fundamentally changing how people move through their lives. Headquartered in Boston, Motional has operations in the U.S and Asia. For more information, visit www.Motional.com and follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
Motional AD Inc. is an EOE. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. To comply with Federal Law, we participate in E-Verify. All newly-hired employees are queried through this electronic system established by the DHS and the SSA to verify their identity and employment eligibility.