At Cisco Meraki, we know that technology can connect, empower, and drive us. Our mission is to simplify technology so our customers can focus on what's most meaningful to them: their students, patients, customers, and businesses. We’re making networking easier, faster, and smarter with technology that simply works.
The modern world runs on the internet, and the internet cannot exist without its underlying infrastructure. Meraki makes setting up, managing, and maintaining that infrastructure easier than it has ever been before. Meraki enables connectivity everywhere from neighborhood cafes to education institutions to global hospitality groups operating thousands of sites.
About the Team:
Meraki's SRE team is responsible for building and scaling the cloud that supports millions of Meraki devices across the world. Meraki’s customer base has grown by a factor of 2-3 every year, serving more than 4 billion HTTP requests per day across eight data centers. Our customers depend on the Meraki cloud to manage and monitor their critical infrastructure of network switches, security appliances, wireless APs, and security cameras.
In this role, you're going to have the unique opportunity to architect, build and support the infrastructure and platforms that enable our customers to be successful. You will make crucial decisions about how to handle and scale complex, high-performance distributed systems. You will have visibility and impact across all of Engineering.
Be prepared to join a team that contributes to and evangelizes engineering best practices and standards. We are a team of incredible out-of-the-box thinking engineers who take pride in helping and collaborating with our engineering teams to solve problems which help them be more efficient!
You are an inspiring innovator, mentor, and coach, conversant and passionate about emerging opportunities. You lead by example and demonstrate excellence in collaboration and communication across engineering teams, with a knack for creative problem solving and a proven track record for leading and directly contributing to the launches of new platforms and/or transformational architecture changes. You are proficient at writing code and deploying it into a distributed architecture. You are also an effective spokesperson and champion for engineering teams, passionate about mentoring and developing engineers. You are a thought leader and a rigorous thinker who is equally comfortable and capable interacting with technologists as with senior business executives with the ability to articulate the value of the proposed solution. You value simplicity at scale and are dedicated to maintaining a culture of quality, reliability, security, and disciplined execution.
As a Principal Engineer You Will
- You lead by example and are a hands-on architect building systems alongside a team
- Contributing significant amounts of production code and providing guidance to more junior engineers for code reviews.
- Applying advanced analytical thought and judgment to think beyond existing solutions
- Working with stakeholders to set product vision, define, and deliver on technical roadmaps spanning multiple organizations or teams
- Providing technical leadership for critical platform and systems development
- Driving complex projects and leading a team of engineers.
- Articulating the architectural principles for SaaS-based capabilities
- Leading strategy and development in distributed large-scale cloud-native technology stacks
- Incubating, conceptualizing, planning, designing, and leading transformational projects
- Working in distributed architectures and working with data structures and algorithms
- Incorporating Security, Scalability, Availability, and SRE practices into solutions
- Building and deploying mission-critical, 24x7 solutions in a SaaS environment
- Experience building and operating services (microservices) in a distributed system.
- Problem solving, debugging, and troubleshooting with advanced development skills
- Architecting and validating solutions which address the identified security challenges
We are looking for:
- You have 15+ years of related experience and are recognized as a strategic thinker in internal and external forums, with extensive technical, market and business expertise.
- Experienced with modern application development methodologies (CI/CD, Agile/DevOps)
- Experienced in building from scratch and/or evolving development tooling and platforms for large engineering organizations.
- Familiar with networking protocols and standard network architectures
- Have advanced public cloud knowledge (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Able to set up and manage continuous integration/delivery tools (Jenkins/TeamCity/Gerrit/SVN)
- Linux Administrator, versatile in console commands, scripting, utilities (PERL, Python, BASH)
- Knowledgeable about database systems, storage (Cassandra, MongoDB, PostgreSQL)
- Experience in container and container orchestration technologies (Docker, Kubernetes)
- Experience in using configuration management tools (Chef, Puppet, Ansible)
- Capable of implementing monitoring tools (AWS CloudWatch, Datadog, Prometheus, ELK, Graphite)
- Able to build infrastructure as code (Terraform)
Bonus points for:
Meraki is based in the Mission Bay area of San Francisco, with beautiful views of the Oracle Ballpark and the Bay beyond. You will have access to an onsite gym, multiple kitchens stocked with high quality snacks, a coffee bar, catered lunches every day, and a generous benefits package.
At Cisco Meraki, we’re challenging the status quo with the power of diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. When we connect different perspectives, we can imagine new possibilities, inspire innovation, and release the full potential of our people. We’re building an employee experience that includes appreciation, belonging, growth, and purpose for everyone.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.