Principal Engineer, Software Engineering at Kinship
WHO WE ARE
Kinship is here to help everyone pet parent like a pro. Why? Because our pets make us better humans, and we owe them the best possible care. As the premier partner to a new generation of pet parents, we use our data, products, and services to help people be the best pet parents they can be. And we unite changemakers in pet care to break down barriers, open new doors, share insights, and advance our collective knowledge. All so we can reimagine the pet parenting experience, up people’s confidence, and help the world find better ways to care.
Kinship is a coalition that includes:
- Adopt-a-Pet, the destination for finding homes for homeless pets; we help animal shelters, humane societies, SPCAs, pet rescue groups, and pet adoption agencies connect their homeless pets to millions of adopters a month
- Our world-leading Wisdom Panel™ genetic health screening and DNA testing for dogs
- The award-winning Whistle™ GPS dog tracker and health monitor
- Pet Insight Project, our ground-breaking science team that uses AI to turn billions of data points into actionable insights
- VETINSIGHT™ which gives modern pet parents the veterinary and wellness guidance needed to make smarter, more informed health decision for their pets.
- The Wildest, the destination that helps pet parents keep their cool in the wild world of pet parenting
- GoodFriend, our recently-launched marketplace for all your pet’s people
- PetStory, our platform that curates top services for pet parents in Russia
- FluffyGo, the mobile-first platform is a one-stop solution for science-minded pet parents in China
- LEAP VENTURE STUDIO, our accelerator that supports innovators and start-ups, allowing Kinship to bring new solutions to pet parents
Together, these teams and more work to set new standards in pet care. And, as a part of Mars Petcare, they work to create a better world for pets. Learn more at www.kinship.co.
The Kinship B2B Engineering teams create APIs and applications that enable our customers to provide the best care and life for their pets. Whether you are working on the world’s largest canine DNA platform, the premier experience for finding and scheduling pet care services or one of the many solutions in our product portfolio, your ideas, design and code will make a real difference in the growing field of pet care technology. This is an exciting time to join Kinship as we scale out our products and create the pet care platform of the future.
We are looking for a strong Principal Engineer to play a critical role in our technology organization and partner closely with our business, product, design, engineering and customer service teams to architect, build, manage, scale and grow various capabilities that power our B2B customer experience. This role is focused on mentoring and guiding the team to build solid backend as well as core services exposed through APIs that span a broad range of platform capabilities that manages marketplace needs, handles payments, bookings, service provider as well as marketplace consumer lifecycle functionalities. Being responsible for B2B aspects of engineering, this role and the team will be responsible for building a robust business partner ecosystem. This role will also manage core backend, business partner side of our Wisdom Panel including all the touch points with various parts of integrations with our DNA processing lab partners and the technologies that power this experience.
HOW YOU’LL HELP EVERYONE PET PARENT LIKE A PRO
As the Principal Engineer on the B2B Engineering team, you will play a central role as a key technologist and drive uniformity, consistency, scale and technical maturity on how we develop new capabilities as well as modernize existing ones. Reporting to Head of B2B Engineering team, you will partner closely with technology leadership team to align and drive larger vision, distill it down to executable parallel workstreams, guide, coach and mentor engineers and inspire them to proactively watch for common pitfalls, recognize failure patterns in process as well as technology stacks and provide alternate remediation strategies.
This role partners closely with consumer and OneKinship engineering teams to co-own the experience for our customers and partners. This role works very closely with design, product and marketing teams and will be responsible for owning delivery of engineering while keeping org and operational efficiency in focus. Key responsibilities include:
- Be that strong technologist on the team
- Lead, design and develop core foundation as well as various backend services that power our B2B initiatives
- Work with our stakeholders to translate product goals into actionable engineering plans.
- Write code that is high-quality, performant, sustainable and testable that can inspire our growing engineering teams through your craftsmanship and coaching.
- As a core part of the tech leadership team, partner with other tech and engineering functions while maintaining high accountability and a keen eye towards reusability, efficiency and scale
- Tackle large, complex business problems by socializing ideas with other technologists in the organization and distilling sound, well thought out approaches with practical scoping as well as reasonably accurate estimation on cost, timeline while flagging (and remediating) any typical pitfalls in execution
THE PRO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
As Kinship people, we have three pillars that set out how we aim to be--in our everyday work, and in how we approach each other. We call these our Cultural Pillars. In all of the roles that we hire for, we look for people who are Optimistic, Purposefully Inquisitive, and Open to All. And for this role, you’ll need these skills to knock it out of the dog park:
- You Have Courage: a willingness to bring forth a new idea, engaging others across Kinship to support you, and taking risks and action will full accountability
- You Learn at Pace: a consistent and fast work ethic to meet growth goals, and the ability to evolve and pivot quickly from what you’ve learned
- You Value Difference: a genuine belief in inclusion and diversity is in your DNA, and it shows up in your work, and how you work.
- You are pragmatic thinker and outcome driven collaborator
- You are a coach and sees importance to mentor junior engineers
- You are able to go technically deep as well as cover a wide range of shared engineering capabilities
- 15+ years of experience in software development
- Proven experience in building scalable platforms
- Solid, hand-on experience building and scaling RESTful APIs (Ruby, Java, GoLang, etc.)
- Solid, hands-on experience with React, Node etc.
- A strong balance of business acumen, technical insight, and user-centered design skills to make the right tradeoffs for optimizing costs, quality, and business value while standing up for your customers’ needs.
- Good understanding of modern cloud friendly devops tools, terraform, Infrastructure as Code
- Experience with relational as well as noSQL database technologies at scale
- Deep understanding of end-to-end deployment architecture including experience with CDNs, networking, distributed systems that yields high availability, active-active topologies
- Experience with distributed caching technologies
- Comfortable with open source technologies and ability to configure/tweak them for scale
- Experience in building API Management Platform
- Experience in integrations domain using modern technologies building low-latency, high throughput platforms with stream processing/eventing
- Experience with deconstructing monolithic applications to microservices
- Hands on experience with AWS, GCP, Azure or comparable public cloud
- Deep understanding of architectural tradeoffs optimized for scale and throughput
JOIN OUR PROS!
- Unique opportunities for a customizable career within pet care
- A super collaborative, flat work environment with direct access to our senior leadership team
- Work from the hottest cities across the world
- Dog-friendly workplaces
- Medical, dental, vision, 401k match, and pet benefits for you and your family
- Unlimited paid time off
- Flexible work opportunities
- Parental leave for the birth or adoption of your new human child (and fur baby)
- Discounts on pet products, services, nutrition and veterinary wellness plans
- Welcome kits with pet merch & Kinship swag
- An extensive onboarding program with a chance to meet all of our leaders across Kinship