Principal Engineer, Android Platform at Reddit (Remote)
Our mission is to bring community and belonging to everyone in the world. Reddit is a community of communities where people can dive into anything through experiences built around their interests, hobbies, and passions. With more than 50 million people visiting 100,000+ communities daily, it is home to the most open and authentic conversations on the internet. From pets to parenting, skincare to stocks, there’s a community for everybody on Reddit. For more information, visit redditinc.com.
Reddit is continuing to grow our teams with the best talent. We're completely remote friendly and will continue to be after the pandemic.
“The front page of the internet," Reddit brings over 430 million people together each month through their common interests, inviting them to share, vote, comment, and create across thousands of communities. Come for the cats, stay for the empathy. This role is for our Android Platform team. The mission of the Android Platform team is to create a performant and high-quality foundation for our Android native application.
This role will enable us to architect our Android app to scale for the next 100M DAUs in International markets such as India. They will also help us set the right standards in Android development and will help in improving the overall Android development experience at Reddit. In addition, they will mentor the Android engineers across Reddit and will be seen as a go-to person for any challenges on Android App architecture.
The mission of the Android Platform team is to create a performant and high-quality foundation for our Android native application. Our vision for the Android Mobile App is to be the best in class.
As a Principal Engineer in the Android Platform team, you will be responsible for designing a solid foundation for our Android application development. You will have the company-wide scope, impact, and responsibility in shaping the future of Android development at Reddit. You will champion the technology selection, best practices in Reddit’s Android application development. In addition, you will act as an Architect for the Android application at Reddit.
What you’ll do
- Own the architecture of Reddit’s Android Mobile App and make it scale to the next 100M+ DAUs. Propose ideas/solutions to reach our vision of “making Reddit’s Mobile Apps best-in-class.”
- Identify the gaps in our current Android App Architecture, and lead redesign of the Android platform to improve modularity, performance, and quality.
- Help us improve the developer experience by reducing the build times, by providing a modular architecture, and improving the developer workflows.
- Help us build the technical foundation for rapid experimentation without compromising on quality.
- Mentor Android developers across the company.
- Be the go-to person for developers on complex problems in Android development.
What we expect from you
- Deep understanding of how to build mobile applications at scale.
- You are a strategic thinker who thrives on developing the long-term technical foundation for Reddit’s products.
- 10+ years of Software development experience with at least 5+ years in designing/developing Android applications.
- Experience in influencing larger (200+ engineers) organizations on technical direction/best practices.
- Experience in influencing organizations on best practices in Mobile or Android development.
- Experience with modern Android development frameworks such as Jetpack compose and Kotlin coroutines.
- Experience with Kotlin.
- Passion for developing scalable, well-designed software that improves people’s lives globally.
- Experience working with cross-functional teams such as design, product, data teams to deliver great user experiences.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent technical expertise
Reddit is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at [email protected].