Principal Database Engineer (My SQL/ Cassandra /Couchbase/Kafka) at LivePerson (New York City, NY)
LivePerson is a transformational force in how brands and consumers communicate. With over 18,000 brands, including HSBC, Disney, Verizon, and Home Depot, we are on a mission to make life easier for people and brands everywhere through trusted Conversational AI. We believe in a future where conversations are the norm for getting your intentions fulfilled - whatever they are.
We are an innovative, intent-driven company that believes in building the future and we are looking for growth minded, unconventional thinkers, developers and builders to join the team.
You will thrive here if:
You can operate in a fast paced, dynamic environment
You can build partnerships that move our business forward
You build code that is simple, understandable, and clean
You see feedback or failure as motivation to learn and to grow
You believe data-driven decision making is the norm
You relate to our core principles (link) and want to work with Conversational AI experts
In this role your responsibilities will include:
- Owning the design and architecture of new highly-available and fault-tolerant
cloud-based databases, as well as how we redesign existing systems
- Taking ownership of the most intellectually-demanding parts of solutions and deliver
- Defining and maturing database best practices used across all engineering teams
- Investigating hard-to-pin-down problems across a complex and distributed architecture
so you can explain root causes and propose solutions
- Making a case for how we stay ahead of capacity issues and limit the blast radius of
issues when a cluster is stressed
- Working with database clients to improve their use of databases (e.g. optimize queries,
evolve data models)
- Helping to set the strategy, feature direction, and roadmap for products with internal and
- Advocating for solutions that help teams launch quality software without compromising
- Educating-other SDEs on best practices for the above activities; Mentoring other SDEs
to help develop the next generation of Principal SDEs at LivePerson.
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or a related field, or
equivalent training or work experience.
- 10+ years of experience building successful production software systems
- Experience configuring any of the following database systems: MySQL, Cassandra,
- Experience managing database systems in a hybrid cloud (on-prem & public cloud)
- Experience debugging and optimizing SQL and data models produced by other teams
- Experienced with distributed event streaming platforms, especially Kafka
- Experience creating architectures that scale with volume and are fault-tolerant
- Familiarity with distributed systems & asynchronous messaging
- Experience tuning distributed systems & software to improve their performance under
increasing volumes of traffic
- Experience developing cloud software services and an understanding of design for
scalability, performance and reliability, in both private and public cloud environments
- Proven ability to dive deep with problems another team is facing and help them identify
short-term mitigations and long-term plans to overcome those problems
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with proven ability to adapt
communication style to technical, non-technical, and executive audiences
- Proven ability to influence without authority up through the VP level
- Proven ability to work in a fully remote environment with people across the globe
- Relevant certifications are a plus (e.g AWS Certification, Google Cloud Platform Certification)
- High attention to detail
Why you’ll love working here:
LivePerson was named to FastCompany’s World’s most innovative companies of 2020 list for the Artificial Intelligence category. We offer top tier tech & data science colleagues, along with opportunities to push your own limits. We embrace invention and experimentation. You’ll have great benefits, flexible time off, plus snacks and drinks to keep your mind fresh and stomach full. Most importantly, you’ll have an ability to make an impact at work and at brands across the globe as we build the future with trusted Conversational AI together.
At LivePerson, people from diverse backgrounds come together to do their best work and be their authentic selves. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.