Principal, Cloud Architect at OCC
Who We Are
The Options Clearing Corporation (OCC) is the world's largest equity derivatives clearing organization. Founded in 1973, OCC is dedicated to promoting stability and market integrity by delivering clearing and settlement services for options, futures and securities lending transactions. As a Systemically Important Financial Market Utility (SIFMU), OCC operates under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC), and the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System. OCC has more than 100 clearing members and provides central counterparty (CCP) clearing and settlement services to 19 exchanges and trading platforms. More information about OCC is available at www.theocc.com.
What We Offer
A highly collaborative and supportive environment developed to encourage work-life balance and employee wellness. Some of these components include:
A hybrid work environment, up to 3 days per week of remote work
Tuition Reimbursement to support your continued education
Student Loan Repayment Assistance
Technology Stipend allowing you to use the device of your choice to connect to our network while working remotely
Generous PTO and Parental leave
Competitive health benefits including medical, dental and vision
What You’ll Do
The Cloud Architect Principal is responsible for leading the creation of a cloud platform technology framework and providing technical architecture and design leadership in support of corporate initiatives in cloud computing and automation. Additionally, the Cloud Architect Principal will be responsible for ensuring that critical cloud applications are designed and optimized for reliability, high availability and disaster recovery.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each primary duty satisfactorily. As a Cloud Architect Principal, you will perform a range of activities required to design, implement, maintain and continuously automate a large, complex cloud-based computing environment. In addition, you will provide technical guidance to team members and, when called upon, serve as a technical liaison between internal departments.
This will involve utilizing best practices for the management, architecture, configuration, DR, administration, and automation of the enterprise server virtualization environment with cloud technologies. These activities will drive the creation of new infrastructure and environments, which will be critical to growth and adoption of broad cloud/automation goals across the business.
The ideal candidate is passionate about new technologies and architecture and keeps current with trends in the cloud platform and infrastructure space, while always searching for ways to improve our systems as technology evolves, with a steady eye towards the extensive regulatory/compliance demands on our company (e.g. CIS, NIST, etc).
• Serve as cloud architect principal by providing technical guidance to other team members for the design, implementation and support of new cloud platform architecture and automation technologies, as well as updates and maintenance of existing cloud and automation systems
• Act as a Subject Matter Expert to the organization for cloud, automation, and end-to-end architecture for IaaS, PaaS and SaaS solutions
• Work closely with other teams to develop and promote cloud-native application architectures (microservices, serverless, containers), and application development and operations practices
• Maintain overall industry knowledge on latest trends, technology, etc. and demonstrate forward thinking around how technology can support where the organization is going
• Advocate and define cloud architecture vision from a strategic perspective, including internal and external platforms, tools, and systems
• Design, configure, implement and support a fully automated workflow for provisioning and maintaining a complex, highly available cloud environment using infrastructure as code
• Develop and maintain a library of deployable, tested, and documented automation design scripts, processes, and procedures for deploying services to the cloud
• Enable DevOps development activities and complex development tasks that will involve working with tools such as Docker, Kafka and container management systems.
• Participate in cloud computing environment build-outs, software installation, maintenance and support, including but not limited to, patches, fixes, end-of-life preparation, and upgrades.
• Assist in the development of technology roadmaps and end-of-life technology plans.
• Implement production changes during defined maintenance windows and support on call rotation; Serve as a point of escalation within the team for production support issues
• Provide technical guidance to junior team members
• Review product work, including detailed code, from other team members for approval to deploy; provide technical feedback as needed
• Provide technical expertise and ownership in the diagnosis and resolution of an issue, including the determination and provision of workaround solution or escalation to service owners
• Drive scope definition, requirements analysis, functional and technical design, application build, product configuration, unit testing, and production deployment for cloud platform projects
• Create and maintain documentation of architecture solutions, such as whitepapers, reference architectures, implementation diagrams, etc and relevant systems, procedures and processes.
• Deliver technical solutions that solve for new levels of complexity, scale and performance, and in turn, enabling breakthrough innovations
• Drive deep architectural discussions in a collaborative fashion to ensure solutions are designed for successful, automated deployment in the cloud
• Providing prescriptive guidance in addressing customer concerns and helping customers make decisions, enabling expansive use of the AWS platform.
• Other duties as assigned.
The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary functions. • Good consultative, communication, team player and analytical skills are a must, as you will be regularly interacting between various teams which are distributed across the US.
• Good technical leadership skills and relevant experience working with other highly technical resources through adopting new technologies while also maintaining highly available, mission critical systems
• Possess deep technical knowledge and extensive experience with complex, IT environments including applications, middleware, storage, networks, information security, and operations as well as have a solid understand of cloud services, cloud native architectures and application delivery models
• In depth knowledge and understanding of container and microservices technologies and related architectures
• Ability to clearly communicate verbally and in writing to business and technology leaders, architects, developers, and team members
• Must be able to collaborate effectively with a group of high performing, technical individuals.
• Hands on experience with agile, devops and continuous integration / continuous delivery.
• Demonstrate ability to support cloud architecture recommendations and decisions with research and reasoning
• Demonstrated history of working within deadlines and ability to work well under pressure
• Experience working in a financial services or highly regulated environment preferred
• Hands-on experience with: Terraform, Kubernetes, Jenkins, Kafka, Github, and configuration management tools such as Puppet, Chef, or Ansible
• Experience with architecting, implementing and maintaining highly available mission critical environments for 24x7 availability
• Experience working in an environment with a defined production change control process and mature security controls posture
• Relevant experience with configuration and implementation of IaaS, Infrastructure as code, AWS, Azure, etc.
• Demonstrate knowledge of cloud architecture and implementation features (OS, multi-tenancy, virtualization, orchestration, elastic scalability) and DevOps tool chains and processes
• Strong understanding of SOA, object-oriented analysis and design, and client/server systems
Education and/or Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree, preferably in a technical discipline (Computer Science, Mathematics, etc.), or equivalent combination of education and experience required
• 7 or more years experience in IT systems installation, operations, design, and architecture of virtualized servers / cloud systems
Certificates or Licenses:
• AWS Solutions Architect Associate Certification or higher strongly desired; Relevant industry certifications such as Microsoft Azure or Google Cloud are a plus