Motional is developing an autonomous robo-taxi service and intends to align its fleet of autonomous vehicles to ISO 26262:2018, ISO 21448, and other emerging ADS safety standards to enable safe driverless operation on public roads. The Automated Driving Safety Engineer will work across multiple sites as a strong contributor in the application of the global safety standards and requirements governing the processes, activities and work products required for Motional’s autonomous operations.
This role will be responsible for ensuring that a cross-functional team at Motional including system engineers, system architects, hardware and software engineers and validation and verification engineers understand and follow the processes and generate the work products as required to build an ADS Safety Case. Lead system analysis efforts (e.g. HARA, FMEA, FTA, DFA, STPA) and generation of structured safety requirements, including ASIL targets, decomposition strategies, and Sensing/AV AI/ML safety mitigations. Manage the generation and compilation of system-level safety documentation and confirmation measures. Manage the component and subsystem certification processes as dictated by the ISO 26262:2018 standard. Work with a 3rd party assessor throughout the robotaxi development process to align generation of work products towards a successful assessment.
The role requires a broad system safety view that incorporates diverse aspects (hardware, software, human, environment) of complex systems to achieve safety.
*This role can be fully remote in the US or hybrid at one of the Motional US offices.*
What You'll Be Doing
- Project and technical leadership to ensure Motional is following industry safety standards and its own internal safety processes
- Drive the concept level and system level requirements development and evaluate and constructively suggest implementation and validation solutions
- Collaborate with system engineers, system architects and software engineers to drive implementation of system safety for Motional’s autonomous driving system according to the applicable standards and processes
- Provide technical leadership for developing and driving Safety Concepts and realization across the ADS system at Motional
- Lead the development of a Safety process, Safety culture, and mature Safety methodology to ensure successful autonomous innovation
- Interface with quality management (QMS), cybersecurity, and operational safety (SMS)
- Engage with external manufacturers and suppliers to ensure compliance across all parts of the vehicle system
- Describe concepts and interact with safety assessors to facilitate the assessment activities
What We're Looking For
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Computer Science, Systems Engineering, Safety Engineering, or related engineering field
- 7+ years directly responsible for applying ISO 26262 standard or other system safety standards in an automotive or similar application
- Demonstrated experience in certifying or developing automotive software (autonomous or conventional)
- Experience with the concepts behind ISO 21448 / SOTIF
- Demonstrated practical experience with methods such as HARA, HazOp, FHA, DFMEA, SFMEA, FMEDA, FTA, STPA, reliability estimation, and root cause analysis
- Experience delivering a system safety project and/or safety critical software from concept to full validation
- Defining and documenting safety lifecycle processes for complex safety critical systems, including safety plans, safety requirements, specifications, assessments, etc.
- Excellent communication skills
- Enthusiasm and a desire to work in a very fast-paced environment where innovation and rapid change is the norm
Bonus Points (not required)
- Experience writing safety requirements (INCOSE), test plans, validation plans
- Experience writing software safety requirements (INCOSE), software test plans, software coding guidelines (MISRA), and other software lifecycle documents
- Experience in development and/or the safety of Machine Learning/AI functions in the context of vehicle sensing, perception, and guidance
- Demonstrated background in the full lifecycle of safety certification processes which may include but is not limited to ISO 26262:2018, ISO 21448, UL 4600, ARP-4761/DO-178C, IEC 61508, IEC 62304, MIL-STD-882/AOP-52, EN 50128
- Demonstrated safety experience in vehicle subsystems (e.g. steering, braking), safety critical electronics development, or sensor development
- Experience working in safety critical industries/types of systems: automotive, aviation, space, security, manufacturing, rail, automotive, oil & gas
- Ability to read and understand complex code in C, C++, Python
- Demonstrated experience developing and validating software in real-time environments such as QNX, ThreadX, AutoSAR
- Experience with safety case argumentation, including GSN
- Experience with autonomous vehicles or ADAS
- Experience with MBSE approaches, including SysML, MagicDraw
- Experience with safety analysis software such as Ansys Medini, FaultTee+, CAFTA, APIS IQ
- Certified Safety Professional, Certified Safety Expert, or other system safety credentials
- Experience leading a team of engineers in a product or project development environment
- Strong mentoring and team building skills
- Experience in applying safety thinking to a complex system in a rapidly changing product or technology
Why You Should Join Us
- Lead Safety Engineering for a company that prioritizes safety
- First AV organization to pass a 3rd party assessment
- Help build the safe autonomous driving future
Because interfacing with the public and/or other employees in a confined setting is an essential function of the job, Motional currently requires those performing this role to be fully vaccinated. Anyone hired into this role should be vaccinated by their start date. Motional is an equal opportunity employer, and will provide reasonable accommodation to those unable to be vaccinated where it is not an undue hardship to the Company to do so as provided under federal, state, and local law.
If you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications outlined above - that’s okay! We encourage you to apply if you think this is a role that would make you excited to come into work every day and that you can deliver the results we need.
Motional is a driverless technology company making self-driving vehicles a safe, reliable, and accessible reality.
The Motional team is made up of engineers, researchers, innovators, dreamers and doers, who together are creating a first-of-its-kind technology with the potential to transform the way we move. We’re behind some of the industry's largest leaps forward, including the first fully-autonomous cross-country drive in the U.S, the launch of the world's first robotaxi pilot, and operation of the world's most-established public robotaxi fleet.
As a leader in an emerging industry that has the promise of creating safer, more reliable and accessible transportation for all, it’s imperative we have a diverse workforce, create an inclusive culture, and understand the communities we operate in around the world.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is fundamental to Motional’s success. That’s why we’ve established a team to ensure DEI is at the forefront of the candidate and employee experience, beginning with the hiring process and continuing throughout your career. We also partner with organizations like the National Society of Black Engineers, the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, and the Society of Women Engineers to ensure our DEI work is informed by the latest thinking and approaches.
Strategically formed by Hyundai Motor Group and Aptiv, Motional is fundamentally changing how people move through their lives. Headquartered in Boston, Motional has operations in the U.S and Asia. For more information, visit www.Motional.com and follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
Motional AD Inc. is an EOE. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. To comply with Federal Law, we participate in E-Verify. All newly-hired employees are queried through this electronic system established by the DHS and the SSA to verify their identity and employment eligibility.