GitLab's DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 1,400+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute.
The People Group Fullstack Engineer reports to Director, People Tools & Technology.
Don’t have a ton of knowledge about GitLab yet? Don’t worry. We have an extensive onboarding and training program at GitLab and you will be provided with necessary DevOps and GitLab knowledge to fulfill your role.What you'll do in this role
- Collaborate with all team members in the People Group, as well as other cross functional departments such as Engineering and Product to work on automation between various systems and creating smaller improvements inside of GitLab.
- Advocate for improvements to People Group projects, issue tracker and project in GitLab-com.
- Improve and automate our various People processes (examples may include onboarding, career mobility and offboarding), to ensure a compliant and streamlined workflow.
- Automation of various manual tasks.
- API building for external systems (payroll, benefits, etc).
- Create tooling where needed to optimize workflows or processes
- Involvement in Compensation Calculator Design/updates.
- Architect and implement People Group support tool to streamline questions from multiple sources.
- Audit People Group processes/iterating for efficiency.
- Automate updates to the about.gitlab.com/jobs page and maintain the job page.
- Improvement and automation of contract creation.
- Provide and/or assist with data to the Data Analyst to be used in the People Group dashboards.
- Help the People Group maintain Single Source of Truth within the handbook
- Keep confidentiality in mind with all the projects and automations and actively look out that other People Group projects do this as well
- Craft code that meets our internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices for a high-scale web environment. Maintain and advocate for these standards through code review.
- Represent GitLab and its values in public communication around specific projects and community contributions.
- Sincere interest in working on People Group related Engineering tasks.
- Professional experience with Ruby and Rails.
- Proficiency in the English language, both written and verbal, sufficient for success in a remote and largely asynchronous work environment.
- Demonstrated capacity to clearly and concisely communicate about complex technical, architectural, and/or organizational problems and propose thorough iterative solutions.
- Confidentiality is critical as well as ensuring our People data is protected and secure in how it is handled. Close partnership with Security on code review prior to moving to production.
- Experience with performance and optimization problems and a demonstrated ability to both diagnose and prevent these problems.
- Comfort working in a highly agile, intensely iterative software development process.
- Demonstrated ability to onboard and integrate with an organization long-term.
- Positive and solution-oriented mindset.
- Effective communication skills: Regularly achieve consensus with peers, and clear status updates.
- An inclination towards communication, inclusion, and visibility.
- Experience owning a project from concept to production, including proposal, discussion, and execution.
- Self-motivated and self-managing, with strong organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work closely with other parts of the organization.
- Share our values, and work in accordance with those values.
- Ability to thrive in a fully remote organization.
- Ability to use GitLab.
Also, we know it’s tough, but please try to avoid the confidence gap. You don’t have to match all the listed requirements exactly to be considered for this role.Hiring Process
To view the full job description and hiring process, please view our handbook. Additional details about our process can also be found on our hiring page.
For Colorado residents: The base salary range for this role’s listed level is currently $89,600-$157,400 for Colorado residents only. Grade level and salary ranges are determined through interviews and a review of education, experience, knowledge, skills, abilities of the applicant, equity with other team members, and alignment with market data. See more information on our benefits and equity. Sales roles are also eligible for incentive pay targeted at up to 100% of the offered base salary. Disclosure as required by the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, C.R.S. § 8-5-101 et seq.
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.