Network Engineer at Linode (Remote)
Linode’s mission is to accelerate innovation by making cloud computing simple, affordable and accessible to all. Founded in 2003 by our CEO Chris Aker at a time before the maturity of technologies such as virtualization, hardware, software, and the network, Linode’s pioneering spirit remains a force to this day. With an active development community of 800,000 Linode’s rapid growth continues to build out its next generation platform. At its core is its next generation global network with twelve major POPs from Mumbai, Tokyo, Singapore, Frankfurt, London, Toronto, NYC, Dallas, Atlanta, the San Francisco bay area, and Sydney.
If you have a passion for a career disrupting and innovating to improve customer outcomes and end user experience and wish to be part of a culture that leverages cutting-edge technologies and apply them in your daily work, Linodes offers you the unique opportunity to work on a state-of-the art network with a team of dedicated network engineers that go above and beyond to ensure our customers stay connected and our network is advanced, automated, secure, stable, reliable and extensible for new features.
If you are looking to join a Network Engineering team that stays up with the most advanced and leading-edge technology and desire to continually offer more to our customers, Linode offers you the freedom to innovate and help shape the next generation of the network that goes into scalable data centers as well as decentralized edge locations.
To be a successful team member, we expect applicants to have knowledge of some of the following technologies:
- Wan and Backbone Networking - BGP, ISIS, OSPF, MPLS, QoS
- Data Center Networking - STP, HSRP, MLAG, BGP, EVPN, VXLAN, Linux Bridge
- Network Development - Linux, Python, YAML, Jinja2, JSON
- Automation - Salt, NAPALM, ZTP
- Monitoring: Prometheus, Grafana, Netflow, Kentik, LOKI
- Optical Networking - DWDM, Infinera, Adva, Smart Optics
- Operating and maintaining large scale global data center networks
- Operating and maintaining the Linode global backbone
- Working on multiple network related projects at once, sometimes with teams from other departments.
- Assessing and resolving network trouble escalations from our 24/7 support staff (we have an on-call rotation)
- Automating standard network provisioning tasks
- Develop systems for Linode’s next generation network across a broad range of technologies including switch, router, and transport including but not limited to dark fiber and DWDM systems.
- Develop design ideals and implement solutions for Linode data center networking based that include but are not limited to Juniper MX, Juniper QFX, Arista, Cisco Nexus, Cumulus Linux, Whitebox switches featuring Broadcom and Mellanox based ASICs.
- Must be able to participate in 24/7 incident response, and weekly on-call rotation.
- Strong understanding of data center switching, routing and network protocols
- Strong understanding of Linux, virtualization, scripting, and networking concepts.
- Experience with administration of routers and switches via command line
- Fundamental understanding of basic scripting concepts as it pertains to Network development and Automation
- 5+ years experience with large scale network administration
- Understanding of version control; specifically Git and GitHub.
- Knowledge of network software, IOS-XR, NX-OS, Junos, and Linux Networking
- Understanding of peering and transit
- Experience with MPLS, BGP and dynamic routing protocols
- Understanding of VXLAN and EVPN
- Ability to work with all kinds of people with varying skill sets will be critical for success.
- Headquartered in one of the coolest buildings in Philadelphia, Linode has plenty of inviting office space to work from, plus remote work options for most positions.
- Work/Life Balance: We have flexible work hours, remote work options, and a very generous paid time off package including volunteer time off and even a paid day off on your birthday!
- Your health matters: We cover up to 90% of medical premiums plus pay for 100% of out of pocket costs that insurance doesn’t take care of.
- Retirement benefits: Linode provides a range of retirement benefits including contributions to your 401k plan, a generous profit sharing plan, and a pension plan.
- Your family is important to us! Employees may benefit from fully paid parental leave, company sponsored 529(c) savings plans, and family-friendly company events.
- Our benefits to support your wellbeing include fully paid access to online mental wellness programs through AbleTo for you and your family, $100 monthly wellness reimbursements, as well as a robust EAP (employee assistance plan) offering
- Free hosting service: Take advantage of some Linode service - we’ll pick up the tab.
- Competitive salary: It all begins with fair compensation. We believe in paying people well and rewarding those who go the extra mile. The compensation range for this position is between $125,000 to $175,000 based on a full-time schedule. The salary could vary outside of this range based on your specific skills and experience. Employees may also qualify for a bonus on top of base salary depending on company and individual performance.
- Take a look at our careers site for a full listing of benefits: https://www.linode.com/company/careers/benefits/
Linode is committed to a culture that creates a sense of inclusion and belonging. We understand that teams perform their best when they include people with diverse backgrounds and differing perspectives, but also that to achieve greatness, people need to feel like they can be themselves; they need to be equal, included, and comfortable in order to perform at their best. Linode stands for equal pay, equal treatment, and equal experiences for all of our people, past, present, and future, regardless of age, race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexuality, socioeconomic class, disability status, or any other differentiating factor. We strive to make sure every last person we interact with feels like they belong and has the same opportunities as everyone else.About Linode
Since 2003, Linode has been providing cloud computing services to customers around the world. Linode offers compute, storage, and networking services from ten data centers in regions spanning North America, Europe, Asia, and Oceania. We are committed to making Linode the most simple, powerful, and reliable hosting provider that thousands of customers—from the fastest-growing startups to established enterprises—trust. This industry moves fast, but we strive to hire the kind of people who can stay a step ahead and keep us - and themselves - at the top. We are an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to building a diverse, inclusive, and welcoming workplace for all.