MDP Algorithm Development- Principal Engineer at Ball Aerospace
At Ball Aerospace, we care about the health and safety of our team members, their families and our communities. Ball Aerospace will comply with Executive Order 14042 and all team members will be required to provide proof of completed vaccination status as a condition of employment as stated within the Order, subject to approved medical or religious accommodations.
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Principal Engineer – MDP Algorithm Development
Join the Ball Aerospace Payload Systems Engineering Team! As a Mission Data Processing (MDP) Algorithm Development Engineer, you will design and develop algorithms and models for implementation on and prediction of performance for real-time payload systems.
What You’ll Do:
- Sample algorithms include but are not limited to the following: image processing, clutter suppression, detection, estimation, open- and closed-loop tracking, uncorrelated track determination, Target Object Mapping, Initial Orbit Determination (IOD) and/or Orbit Determination (OD).
- Develop embedded, real-time image/track processing algorithms using temporal, spatial, and/or spectral processing of EO/IR data.
- Support the architecture, design, and development of algorithms, software, and hardware systems for a variety of applications including mission data processing systems for Remote Sensing, Space Situational Awareness, Rendezvous and Proximity Operations, Tactical Solutions, and more.
- Develop and communicate mission-level understanding to peers and customers.
- Perform system engineering and modeling & simulation for a variety of tactical and surveillance missions.
- Provide technical direction to junior engineers through the development lifecycle.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units, and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- B.S. degree in Engineering or related technical field and a minimum of 12 years of relevant experience is required.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education, U.S. Department of Education.
- Experience with computational science and/or applying advanced math skills to engineering problems.
- Demonstrated ability to independently solve new algorithm challenges and generate high-level code to develop and analyze algorithm performance.
- Experience with Matlab, Python, or C++.
- Capacity to operate at the system level.
- Demonstrated ability to interact and work with all engineering disciplines.
- Self-starter mindset and aptitude to work both independently and on a team.
- Strong written, verbal, presentation, and interpersonal communication skills plus an ability to lead group discussions.
- Degree(s) in Aeronautical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Applied Math, Physics or other related fields are preferred; Master and PhD degrees are highly desired.
- Experience working in and with controlled, classified security environments is highly desirable.
- Experience in at least one of the following areas:
- Track Processing and/or Image Processing.
- Artificial Intelligence / Deep Learning.
- Mission Data Processing experience in OPIR, Space Situational / Domain Awareness (SSA / SDA), and/or Space Control
- Data Processing for Remote Sensing or other raw data through actionable products: GPU, FPGA, and/or High-Performance Computing (cluster) processing implementations; Initial Orbit Determination, Orbit Determination, and/or 3D trajectory estimation
- Implementation of embedded systems.
- Spectral phenomenology.
- Ball Aerospace is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and other states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $145,250 - $183,350 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.