Managing Software Engineer, Full Stack/Front End (remote) at Ad Hoc
Managing Software Engineer
This is a remote position
Ad Hoc is a digital services company that helps the federal government better serve people. Our team of experts from across the commercial industry and government brings the modern skills necessary to help agencies transform public services into digital services. Our work enables agencies to meet the needs of their users while closing the gap between consumer expectations and government.
Managing Software Engineers are technical experts who work closely supporting both teams and clients through all aspects of the software development cycle - including research, planning, development, and operations. They’ll draw on their technical background to ensure solutions are developed according to Ad Hoc’s values, and help build the capabilities of engineering teams. They’re experienced with leading teams, and are comfortable with addressing ambiguity in systems and processes.
- Our Federal contracts require that you be a U.S. Citizen to be eligible for employment.
- All work must be conducted within the U.S.
- As a government contractor, all hires may be required to meet additional pre-employment contingencies to the extent required by applicable law, at the time of hire or any time thereafter
What You'll Do
- Ensuring effective engineering delivery on their program or team.
- Developing and presenting reports based on program reporting requirements.
- Shaping the technical direction of their program.
- Managing the technical relationship with the client, and influencing their technical decision-making.
- Periodically meeting with engineers or customer teams for strategy discussions and planning.
- Plan, coordinate, and deliver on complex projects without explicit guidance. (Examples of complex projects include major re-architectures or coordination between multiple teams or larger numbers of engineers)
- Defining agendas (including technical direction, goals, and priorities) for a number of adjacent engineers.
- Using effective written communication and presentation skills to communicate existing systems, design decisions, past performance, and major history of projects that they’ve been a part of.
- Participating in bid-writing, tech demos, and other client-facing communications for new programs.
- Managing performance, in terms of both craft and associated competencies relevant to career development, for assigned individuals within engineering. This includes supporting program managers in hiring, onboarding, and conducting annual performance reviews.
- Providing coaching and development to engineering team members, which includes regular 1-on-1s, defining growth goals and development plans with individuals, and creating a culture where team members can learn and evolve.
What You'll Bring
- 10+ years of experience leading or managing a team of software developers in an ambiguous environment
- Understand how to prioritize and drive goals with both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Experience developing with Ruby on Rails
- Programming in a major open source language.
- Understanding of the fundamental API-oriented technologies of the web: HTTP/S, SSL, REST, python, OAUTH, Java, Postgres, ETL and DevOps concepts and tools.
- Proficient spelling, grammar, and communication skills.
- Experience and understanding of one or more different agile methodologies, including Scrum, XP, or SAFe
- Experience with Amazon Web Services, in particular EC2, S3, and RDS
- Must be legally authorized to work in the U.S now and in the future without sponsorship
- Experience working on APIs and API development
- Managing Software Engineer 5+ years of experience in software design and development, architecture, operations." software and systems design, architecture, and development. "Degree in Computer Science or other engineering background, or equivalent work experience. *Four years of additional hands on experience in a relevant field and a high school diploma may be substituted for a bachelor’s degree.
- Company-subsidized Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- 401K Plan
- Unlimited Vacation
- Continuing Education/Annual Conference Attendance Stipend
Ad Hoc LLC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.
In support of the Colorado Equal Pay Transparency Act, and others like it across the country, Ad Hoc job descriptions feature the starting range we reasonably expect to pay to candidates who would join our team with little to no need for training on the responsibilities we've outlined above. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide range of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, and responsibility. The range of starting pay for this role is $128,183 - $169,065 and information on benefits offered is here. Our recruiters will be happy to answer any questions you may have, and we look forward to learning more about your salary requirements.