Manager, Software Engineering - Disney Streaming Advanced Research
Disney Streaming Advanced Research (DSAR) is part of Disney Streaming, the division responsible for the complete technical platform for the Disney direct-to-consumer streaming video products. This team pioneers advanced application features, with a focus on voice, spatial computing, and machine learning to be enjoyed and loved by millions of viewers. We perform long-running research projects, create high-fidelity prototypes, and develop foundational technology to drive future innovations.
The Manager, Software Engineering, Disney Streaming Advanced Research reports to the Director of Software Engineering, Advanced Research. You will be responsible for leading a team of engineers from a variety of disciplines on the successful delivery and operation of systems related to our advanced research projects. You will provide leadership and technical expertise in software development lifecycle and architecture for systems programming. This role will have up to 50% hands-on software engineering, as well as management responsibilities.
We will work on a wide array of projects in different phases of research & deployment into production. You will be instrumental in helping some of our later-phase projects stabilize and deliver to production teams. Your expertise in software architecture and systems programming will come to bear as you build a team to deliver best-in-class solutions to cutting edge problems.
You will be working with small groups of Machine Vison & ML, and Computer Graphics & Data Science research engineers. The research group is developing disruptive technology with a passion for innovative, leading-edge technology. This is a fast-paced environment where our objective is to create prototype technology that can be passed on to other groups for operations and scalability.
- Be responsible for the full lifecycle of software development (requirements gathering, designing, building, testing, maintenance, and support)
- Design, build, deploy, and operate solutions capable of processing a large number of concurrent requests quickly, correctly, and reliably
- Work within a cross functional team of engineers building software in a collaborative & agile development environment
- Support the team in continuously improving the organization's tools and best practices for owning and operating software
- Guide engineers through mentorship and career advocacy. Provide goals, career path, promotion guidance, motivation to your direct reports.
- Encourage individual decision-making amongst your team to support growth opportunities
- Foster an open environment of mutual support and engineering effectiveness
- Collaborate with product teams, engineering teams to design and build solutions
- Escalate and report project status, progress, risks to your leadership
- Drive and maintain a culture of quality, innovation, and experimentation
- Coach engineers on best practices and technical concepts
- Influence and drive software engineering and architecture best practices and standards within the team and wider organization
- Recruit and hire talented software engineers.
Basic Qualifications :
- 7+ years of experience in development and system architecture design
- 1+ years of management experience
- Have successfully managed software engineering teams to deliver reliable, fault-tolerant, scalable software services
- Skilled in the software development life cycle, software architecture and writing software
- Experience building multiple concurrent projects of high technical complexity
- Comfortable developing a solution in the chaos of a research team
- AWS certification
- Docker / Kubernetes experience
- A working understanding of machine learning
- Highly competent in C++, Rust, Java, and/or Python
- Experience building media capture systems and media pipelines on Linux
- GStreamer experience
- Media Technology experience, including cameras, video post-production, encoding, video engineering
Required Education :
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science (or related field) or equivalent work experience
Additional Information :
Location: New York preferred, but also open to San Francisco or Remote