GitLab's DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 1,400+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute.
The Frontend Engineering Manager specializes in Frontend Engineering Management as a manager of people. Engineering Managers at GitLab see their team as their product. While they are technically credible and know the details of what engineers work on, their time is spent safeguarding their team's health, hiring a world-class team, and putting them in the best position to succeed. They own the delivery of product commitments and are always looking to improve productivity. They must also coordinate across departments to accomplish collaborative goals.Responsibilities
- Seek to build out a great team
- Make your team happy and successful
- Improve processes to make your team more effective
- Hold regular 1:1's with all members of your team
- Plan and execute long term strategies that benefit the team and the product stage
- Conduct code reviews, and make technical contributions to product architecture
- Get involved in solving bugs and delivering small features
- Foster technical decision making on the team, and make final decisions when necessary
- Discern engineering metrics and seek to improve them
- May have more than one specialty on their team, per our shared manager team concept
- Participate in the Incident Management on-call rotation to help ensure the availability goals for GitLab.com are met, by working with reliability engineers and development team members.
- Collaborate effectively with others
- Ability to achieve consensus amongst stakeholders
- Experience leading teams working with React, Vue, Pajamas
- Demonstrated people leadership experience
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Our values of collaboration, results, efficiency, diversity, iteration, and transparency resonate with you
- Ability to use GitLab
- You have experience contributing to open source software
- You have experience working with modern frontend frameworks (eg. React, Vue.js)
- You have working knowledge of Ruby on Rails
- You have domain knowledge relevant to the product stage in which you are looking to join (eg. someone with CI/CD experience applying for the Verify & Release team)
To view the full job description and its compensation calculator, view our handbook. The compensation calculator can be found towards the bottom of the page.
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.