Linux Engineer (Remote - UK) at Rackspace Technology
Sorry, this job was removed at 1:44 p.m. (CST) on Tuesday, May 10, 2022
By clicking Apply Now you agree to share your profile information with the hiring company.
The Support Engineer is a key element within the Rackspace support infrastructure and is expected to provide a high level of technical support to our customers via the phone, ticketing system, and automation. This role owns complex customer issues which may take several days or weeks to resolve and keeps our customers updated through every step of the process. Responsible for the engineering, design, and development of hardware, software, and networking systems. Provides a framework for system development, maintenance, and enhancement efforts. Implements standards and guidelines of OS support. Analyzes systems and performance usability testing to ensure performance and reliability, enhance scalability, and meet security requirements. The Support Engineer is expected to take initiative and advise on potential pitfalls that a customer may encounter and suggest alternatives which may better serve the stability and security of the customer's solution. Keeps informed of emerging technologies. Responsible for adhering to company security policies and procedures and any other relevant policies and standards as directed.
** Role can work remotely from anywhere within the UK **
- Technical point of escalation to the OS Support and Engineering teams; resolving customer issues, working in collaboration with partners across the business, as required
- Lead functional and contribute to cross-functional business continuity/transformational projects and customer engagements (both technical and non-technical), delivering key objectives for the Organization
- Lead tasks relating to system architecture enhancements, problem management, fleet management, process improvement, reporting, product integration and customer infrastructure
- Lead Workload/Workforce Management and Optimization related tasks
- Develop technical training for all Rackers supporting Rackspace Supported OS Products
- Mentor and assist Rackers across the organization
- Provide technical expertise underpinning communications targeting a range of stakeholders - from individual contributors to leaders across the business
- Collaborate with Account Managers and Business Development Consultants to build strong customer relationships
- Collaborate and share knowledge with other Engineers and Administrators on the support floor
- Strong knowledge of OS, including but not limited to: Server Failover Clustering, Active Directory, IIS
- Strong knowledge of server hardware, networking, backup, and storage solutions
- Strong knowledge of designing, implementing, analyzing, and troubleshooting highly available systems
- Strong understanding of services and protocols commonly used in hosting environments: web servers, database servers, mail servers, name servers
- Proficient knowledge of MSSQL Server
- Proficient knowledge of Virtualization Technologies (I.e.: VMWare, OpenStack, and Hyper-V)
- Proficient knowledge of Cloud Platform Products (Azure/AWS/GCP)
- Proficient knowledge and applied experience of both Project Management methodologies and Process Improvement best-practice
- Proficient understanding of services and protocols commonly used in hosting environments: web servers, database servers, mail servers, name servers
- Proficient knowledge in the application of current and emerging network software and hardware technology and protocols
- Intermediate scripting competency in one or more of the following languages: PowerShell, Python, PHP, Go
- Requires in-depth conceptual and practical knowledge in own job discipline and basic knowledge of related job disciplines
- Has knowledge of best practices and how own area integrates with others; is aware of the competition and the factors that differentiate them in the market
Education & Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, or a related technical field
- At the Manager's discretion, 4 years of additional related experience may substitute for the degree requirement; if substitution allowed, regional equivalent to High School Diploma is required.
- Requires MCSE for Windows specialization
- Requires RHCE for Linux specialization
- Prefer Specialist Certifications that apply to role
- 5 - 7 years of experience in OS Systems Engineering and Administration
- Passionate about technology and has a desire to constantly expand technical knowledge
- Detail-oriented in documenting information and able to own customer issues through resolution
- Able to handle multiple tasks and prioritize work under pressure
- Demonstrate sound problem-solving skills coupled with a desire to take on responsibility
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, both highly technical and non-technical
- Fluency in multiple languages is a plus
About Rackspace Technology
We are the multicloud solutions experts. We combine our expertise with the world’s leading technologies — across applications, data and security — to deliver end-to-end solutions. We have a proven record of advising customers based on their business challenges, designing solutions that scale, building and managing those solutions, and optimizing returns into the future. Named a best place to work, year after year according to Fortune, Forbes and Glassdoor, we attract and develop world-class talent. Join us on our mission to embrace technology, empower customers and deliver the future.
More on Rackspace Technology
Though we’re all different, Rackers thrive through our connection to a central goal: to be a valued member of a winning team on an inspiring mission. We bring our whole selves to work every day. And we embrace the notion that unique perspectives fuel innovation and enable us to best serve our customers and communities around the globe. We welcome you to apply today and want you to know that we are committed to offering equal employment opportunity without regard to age, color, disability, gender reassignment or identity or expression, genetic information, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity status, military or veteran status, nationality, ethnic or national origin, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, or any legally protected characteristic. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
More Information on Rackspace Technology
Rackspace Technology operates in the Cloud industry. The company is located in San Antonio, TX and San Antonio, TX. Rackspace Technology was founded in 1998. It has 7509 total employees. It offers perks and benefits such as Flexible Spending Account (FSA), Disability Insurance, Dental Benefits, Vision Benefits, Health Insurance Benefits and Life Insurance. To see all 36 open jobs at Rackspace Technology, click here.
Read Full Job Description