PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
We are looking for an experienced Lead Staff Engineer to lead an automation team and join our growing team in the Global Service Operations organization. The mission of this group is to provide 24/7 operational support of the Sony Network Platform
- Drive teams to build automation solutions for Operational support, to prevent problem recurrence and automate responses to errors and alerts
- Leading, coaching, mentoring, and encouraging a dedicated team of software engineers to design, build, deploy and support Observability and automation tools that enable our teams to provide the best gaming experience for our customers.
- Improve upon and deliver the vision and strategy for Operations automation through collaboration with engineering, operations, and leadership across PlayStation teams
- Lead concurrent projects. Estimate, plan, and slice projects to deliver frequent value to production.
- Build and develop a high energy, committed, motivated engineering team focusing on engineering and operational excellence to deliver awesome business results.
- Collaborate across business units, internal customers, and product teams to develop and execute against the team's vision, strategy, and roadmap.
- Use technical expertise and industry trends to influence software development standard methodologies.
- Handle day-to-day activities of the engineering team using Agile/Scrum methodology.
- Lead the team who support the operations for PlayStation Network platform by collaborating with international Sony groups, external parties, to provide application support and fulfill service requests.
- Ability to investigate, solve, and triage complex production software, applications, service issues and misuse.
- Consistent track record of leading robust engineering teams
- Breadth and depth of experience in building automation solutions for large scale applications
- 5+ years of experience in Software development, building automation solutions
- 2+ years in a technical leadership as team lead and/or management experience, leading engineering teams and mentoring others.
- Strong collaboration and communication skills with the ability to partner and influence other managers, engineers, and executives
- Proven track record of building, growing, and leading technical teams that effectively deliver services following agile principles
- Demonstrated experience following software engineering best-practices
- Experience with automation, configuration management operating in public cloud environments
- Exceptional written and spoken communication skills and the ability to remain calm, composed, and customer focused.
- Programming experience in Java or C++ and/or strong scripting skills (Ruby, Bash, or Python).
- Experience supporting web applications in Java, Tomcat stacks.
- Experience with any of the Observability tools - DataDog, Splunk, Catchpoint, Light Step, Imply, etc.
- Experience investigating, improving, and fixing complex systems and applications on *nix platforms.
- Experience in real-time databases (such as Oracle, Cassandra, Aerospike, etc.).
- Experience developing applications on Unix/Linux platforms.
- Capable of quickly inspecting complex problems, understanding dependencies, and deducing the root issue.
- Experience with distributed systems / microservice architecture.
- Experience in deploying, operating, and running services in AWS or other cloud environments.
- Experience in EKS & K8.
- Experience working in a highly available finance, or revenue-sensitive environment, with e-commerce and payment processing on a global scale.
- Excellent analytical skills, coupled with a strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive.
- Good understanding of software development and quality assurance processes.
- Experience in developing cross-platform code.
- Experience with Java Application Servers/Containers
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
A. Identification and contact information
- Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
- Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
- Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
B. Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
- Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
- Professional or job position-related information, including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
- Non-public education information, including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.