Lead Android Mobile Engineer at Cricut (Salt Lake City, UT)
Cricut® makes smart cutting machines that work with an easy-to-use app, an ever-growing collection of materials, and crafting essentials to help you design and personalize almost anything — custom cards, unique apparel, everyday items, and so much more.
We believe everyone is born creative. We’re a diverse tapestry of thinkers, dreamers, givers, DIYers, handi-workers, artisans, and forever and always architects of things.
At Cricut, we place the power of handmade into the hands of all. We give you beautiful, easy-to-master tools so you can make something unique, remarkable, perfect. We surround you with ideas, community, inspiration, and encouragement to take your creativity further than you ever imagined. And as a community, we celebrate the exhilarating act of making every single day.
So, make that handcrafted card that feels like a hug. Design a shirt for fun, for family, or for a full-blown business. Craft with a passion or for a purpose. Make something big and bold, itsy-bitsy, amazingly ambitious, or just plain silly. Whatever you make, just make your heart out. Because here’s the remarkable truth: When we all make together, we make all things possible.
Let’s makeJob Description
Cricut is looking for a talented Lead Android Mobile Engineer to help us take our Android native apps to the next level. The position demands a candidate capable of doing high-quality work against technical and schedule challenges, while following strong software design and process principles. This is a great opportunity to play a key role in a dynamic team, working on cutting edge mobile technology. You are a driver of change and you have yet to meet a technological challenge you cannot resolve. You are dedicated to developing clean code that will help shape the Android mobile software which thrills our users.
- Hands-on role where you will be working alongside the team
- Lead technical architecture, coding standards, and other team processes and policies
- Work with PM and UX on story refinement, articulate engineering concerns, and guide technical direction
- Work with cross functional teams on quarterly planning and plan work for the team
- Apply software engineering design patterns to develop well-structured, modular, performant application code
- Run Scrum ceremonies
- Work collaboratively with product manager to drive features and maintain the backlog
- Serve as a technical mentor and know how to delegate tasks to the team
- Perform code reviews, write unit and UI tests, and contribute to architectural planning and refactoring
- Collaborate with API teams on API design
- Drive software releases includes releasing apps to Google Play
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or comparable field with 5+ years relevant experience
- Extensive experience developing Android mobile native applications in Kotlin/Java (Android 9.0 and above)
- Solid knowledge of Android UI design principles, best practices, and development life cycle
- Experience with at least one of these design architectures: MVVM, MVC, VIPER, Clean Architecture
- Expert in UI layouts and creating adaptive layouts for various hardware configurations
- Experience consuming RESTful JSON/XML web services, Open API standard (Swagger)
- Experience in testing high volume applications: unit test, integration test, Espresso Test, performance test
- Experience in dependency injection framework (e.g., Dagger, Hilt)
- Experience with Git and GitFlow
- Experience with Scrum/Agile methodologies
- Experience in mentoring junior members
- Experience in project management
- A solid grasp of fundamental algorithms, data structures, and design patterns
- Ability to prototype new features and redesign existing ones
- Excellent problem solving, debugging skills, critical thinking, and communication skills
- Ability to effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions
- Aptitude and desire to independently learn new technologies
- Working knowledge of Internationalization
- Experience in working with offshore contractors
- Experience in continuous integration and delivery (e.g., Bitrise, GitHub Actions)
- Experience in animation and graphics
- Experience with Jetpack Navigation
- Experience with Android performance profiling tools and optimization techniques
- Experience with Google Firebase Analytics and Crashlytics
- Advanced Gradle experience
- Familiar with Jetpack Compose
Please attach your resume including links to your portfolio where applicable. If you want to show your super powers in other ways – include that information too. You can be sure that Cricut® is an employer who values individuality, equality and diversity, so tell us what you’re all about. If you are a Maker or a DIY enthusiast, whether you think you are a good one or not, we would love to hear about it when you send us your information!
At Cricut®, we celebrate inclusion and diversity. Cricut is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions based on merit. Cricut prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual identity, gender identity, marital status, veteran status, nationality, citizenship, age, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, or any other unlawful consideration. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines. Cricut participates in E-Verify.