About the Company
At Torc, we have always believed that autonomous vehicle technology will transform how we travel, move freight, and do business.
A leader in autonomous driving since 2007, Torc has spent over a decade commercializing our solutions with experienced partners. Now a part of the Daimler family, we are focused solely on developing software for automated trucks to transform how the world moves freight.
Join us and catapult your career with the company that helped pioneer autonomous technology, and the first AV software company with the vision to partner directly with a truck manufacturer.
Local to Austin and interested in an engineering role with us? Join us on Wednesday, October 12th at our Austin office to network with our leadership team and learn more about our open job opportunities. Register here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/meet-our-engineering-leadership-tickets-425289360927
What you'll do:
We are looking for a software engineering student to help build the high-level decision-making systems for our automated vehicles.
As a member of the Behaviors team, you'll help build solutions to improve how our vehicles behave in various driving situations. We'll rely on you to help develop the next generation algorithms while working closely with a team of passionate engineers.
- Enhance motion control and path planning algorithms for next generation autonomous driving
- Develop high-level decision structures to manage the goals and regulations of autonomous driving
- Benchmark and test performance of algorithms on Torc's automated vehicles
- Add new capabilities for both on-road and off-road driving
Candidate is expected to work 40 hours a week for the duration of their co-Op.
Must be willing to be based locally in Blacksburg, VA for duration of Co-Op.
Torc Internships and Co-Ops provide a great way for you to hone your skills and see what life at Torc is all about. Our goal is to enable Interns and Co-Ops to become full-time Torc’rs.
What you'll need to succeed:
- Full-time student pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Robotics, or related technical field
- Interest in motion control or automated vehicle development
- Strong C++ programming skills
- Strong problem-solving skills – ability to troubleshoot complex software and systems to identify the root cause of the issue
- Interest in graph theory and search algorithms
- Interest in vehicle kinematics/dynamics
- ROS (Robot Operating System) experience
- Exposure to various digital filtering algorithms
- Exposure to Bayesian statistics/estimation methods
- Exposure to control loop design and tuning
- Cross platform development including OS (Windows/Linux) and hardware (x86/ARM)
- Unit testing and continuous integration
- GPU processing optimization