AlertMedia is looking for an Internal Tools Engineer to support our growing Engineering team. This role offers the opportunity to work shoulder to shoulder with developers and QA engineers to create tools that improve the development experience and make tedious tasks easy. Work includes customizing and streamlining the local Docker environment, creating setup files for IDEs, and maintaining and creating scripts to perform a variety of tasks in macOS and Linux environments. This is a new role and provides you with the chance to make your mark on the Engineering team. Strong creative and technical abilities are vital for success in this role, with the ideal candidate being an independent problem solver and critical thinker. You must have a passion for innovative software development and willingness to roll up your sleeves to collaborate with all teams. You will have the opportunity to show who you are throughout our interview process, we don’t ask any trick questions, or expect you to perform a whiteboard exercise. We want to see you shine by showing us work you are most proud of!
Who you are:
You love creating tools and writing automation scripts to improve the day-to-day work lives of others around you. You’re a good listener and collaborator. You are skilled at iterating quickly on an idea and roughing out scripts to demonstrate possible approaches to get quick feedback. For your final products, you’re meticulous and detail-oriented and employ defensive coding techniques. Your scripts are highly usable for the occasional user – they always include help options, check for required arguments and environment variables, and provide the user with easy-to-understand error messages that help them correct mistakes. You love variety and enjoy moving from task to task. You’re a stickler for source control process.
Who we are:
AlertMedia is leading the evolution of employee safety for a modern workforce. We offer the most intuitive emergency communication software on the market with fully integrated threat warnings and employee safety monitoring. We believe any organization can improve safety and business outcomes during critical events by quickly identifying threats and simplifying fast, reliable communication to impacted audiences. We are headquartered in Austin, TX, and trusted by thousands of customers in over 100 countries—including DHL, British Petroleum, SurveyMonkey, and Walmart—to keep their people safe and connected anytime, anywhere.
We are an equal opportunity employer focused on creating a collaborative and exciting place for all to work. Ensuring a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace for all people is key to our success and core to our values.
Come join us in our mission to save lives and minimize loss through effective communication.
This is an amazing opportunity to be part of our wave of momentum and take our company, and your career, to the next growth stage. We'd love to get to know you better and share how we serve our amazing customers. For more information, please visit www.alertmedia.com.
What you will do:
- Become an expert in the AlertMedia platform and tools
- Create customized Docker configurations for development teams to stand up streamlined environments for local development
- Create scripts using bash and python to allow developers to exercise all the components of the AlertMedia platform locally, allowing them to speed up development
- Extend the Bitbucket and Jenkins pipelines and work with developers, QA engineers, and DevOps to optimize test runs and workflows
- Maintain and create new tools for developers to use locally and with AWS
- Create documentation (READMEs, Confluence pages) for using new tools and onboarding developers
- Work in an Agile based environment using tools like Git, JIRA, Jenkins, and Slack
- Use strong verbal and written communication skills in collaboration with other engineering and product teams
- Contribute to AlertMedia’s culture, values and vision for the future
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical field such as computer science, computer engineering or related field preferred
- Experience with bash or Python scripting in a macOS or Linux environment
- Experience with Docker and serverless
- Experience with modern frameworks, such as React, Django, and Node a plus
- Experience working in a cloud platform environment a plus, AWS preferred
- Database and SQL experience a plus, Postgres in particular
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage working on multiple projects in parallel
- The ability and desire to work in a fast-paced challenging environment
- Position is open for remote location except for in the following states: Alaska, Colorado, Louisiana, Mississippi, Montana, North Dakota, Oregon, Rhode Island, Washington, West Virginia, US territories
- This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship
What we offer:
- Base salary + Company-Wide Bonus program
- Competitive PTO + holidays to enjoy balance
- Health benefits - Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance 100% paid for employees
- Amazing rewards and incentives
- An exciting and positive work environment
- Commitment to community service with opportunities to give back
- A Best Places to Work company 5 years in a row
AlertMedia is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create a welcoming and diverse environment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
AlertMedia does not currently sponsor applicants for work visas.