Infrastructure Engineer Consulting Director - Hosting at CNA
The "Consulting Director Infrastructure Engineer - Hosting" position is an individual contributor role responsible for public cloud and on-premises hosting infrastructure design, with a focus on public and private cloud platform. Collaborates with business and technology team members to develop and communicate technology roadmaps, strategies, and IT standards to meet current and future business requirements. Designs conceptual and logical design for infrastructure systems that support solutions to complex business problems. Provides technical guidance and leadership in research, evaluation, and operationalization of new hosting domain capabilities. Ensures alignment with CNA's Enterprise Architecture processes.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Performs a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines:
- Creates, maintains, and communicates product roadmaps, standards, and strategies for the infrastructure hosting domain that align with strategic objectives.
- Provides hosting domain expertise. Consults with team members in developing optimal solutions for CNA's business initiatives
- Performs and oversees data center virtualization deployments utilizing VMware vSphere and vRealize Suite products (scripting, system configuration, and automation)
- Troubleshoot various vSphere issues related to performance and optimization or configuration including but not limited to VLANS, standard and distributed virtual switches, vCPU/Memory optimization, vMotion, vRA, and bugs in software updates
- Configure, maintain, and verify compliance requirements, and industry best practices for Windows and Linux VMs, vCenter and vRealize, and server hardware
- Create and utilize PowerShell, Python, and Ansible to standardize and automate workflows with regards to initial configurations, patching, and decommissioning of environments
- Responsible for the evaluation of technical risks and map out mitigation strategies
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Typically reports to Director or above.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- Detailed technical knowledge of public cloud, private cloud, and on-premises infrastructure architecture capabilities, including Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS), Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS), operating systems (Linux, Unix, Windows), compute platforms, including hyper-converged infrastructure), storage, infrastructure tooling (including automation, configuration management, and monitoring), and data center capabilities.
- Experience with GIT, RPM/yum, Ansible, Puppet, PowerShell
- Experience with VMware, IaaS, Cloud Computing, and PKI
- Ability to research emerging technologies and determine fit-for-purpose with CNA's requirements.
- Ability to drive results by identifying and resolving problems within scope of responsibility.
- Familiar with modern software development and deployment practices, including DevOps concepts and agile methodologies.
- Have a good understanding of networking: TCP/IP, IP addresses, HTTP, DNS. Having capabilities in scripting languages and experience with relational databases are also helpful.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Information Technology, or related work experience. Advanced degree preferred.
- Typically a minimum of ten years of Information Technology experience, preferably in infrastructure engineering and/or architecture roles.
- Public cloud experience required. Google Cloud Platform experience preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to lead technical solutions, experience working with technology vendors and managed service providers.