Geotechnical Engineer at HDR (Nashville, TN)
At HDR, we specialize in engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services. While we are most well-known for adding beauty and structure to communities through high-performance buildings and smart infrastructure, we provide much more than that. We create an unshakable foundation for progress because our multidisciplinary teams also include scientists, economists, builders, analysts and artists. That's why we believe diversity is our greatest strength. HDR is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer.
Watch Our Story:' https://www.hdrinc.com/our-story'
We believe that the way we work can add meaning and value to the world. That ideas inspire positive change. That coloring outside the lines can illuminate fresh perspectives. And that small details yield important realizations. Above all, we believe that collaboration is the best way forward.
HDR is seeking a Geotechnical Engineer to support our expanding geotechnical section within our Lexington and/or Louisville, KY or Nashville, TN office. office. This is a leadership role that involves planning, organizing, and coordinating the work of entry- and mid-level professionals.
- Plan, execute, and complete geotechnical tasks on assigned projects independently and collaboratively. This position may be required to review design and construction submittals for geotechnical compliance with applicable codes, design standards, project requirements, and contract documents.
- Geotechnical investigations and design activities for dams, levees, hydraulic structures, railroad, and transportation projects.
- Involvement in communication with both internal and external clients.
- Geotechnical technical analyses, preparation of proposals and reports, and coordination with designers and contractors to implement recommendations on plans and in the field.
- Engage in supporting development of technical scope of works and fee proposals, as well as responses to RFP's related to geotechnical services.
- This position may function as technical specialist or project manager, but project management is not sole focus of position.
Core Competencies for a successful candidate:
- Must be able to independently make decisions and recommendations that will impact a project's activities and direction
- Be a technical expert, leader, and authority in projects and tasks involving geotechnical engineering.
- Be knowledgeable of today's technical standards, including but not limited to USACE, AREMA, LRFD, etc.
- Exhibit excellent communication skills, ability to work collaboratively with team members and clients and the demonstrate expertise in managing several complex tasks simultaneously.
- MSCE degree or higher in geotechnical engineering
- 5 or more years of experience in the general field of geotechnical engineering and specializing in 3 or more of the following:
- Dams, levees and hydraulic structures
- Deep Foundations
- Shallow Foundations
- Lateral Analyses
- Experience in subsurface investigations
- Field & laboratory testing and the determination of in-situ material properties
- Soil compaction and earthwork construction
- Soil mechanics
- Seepage and piping
- Foundation inspection and assessment
- Landslide and slope stability evaluations
- Bearing capacity and settlement
- Design and construction of foundations on alluvial soils
- Design and construction of foundations on karst bedrock geology, foundation inspection and assessment
- Erosion protection design
- PE is preferred.
- Participation in related professional societies (ASCE, USSD, ASDSO, AREMA) is encouraged.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, required
- Proficiency with geotechnical software including gINT, Slope/W, Seep /W, APILE, LPILE, MSEW3.0, GRLWeap, Settle3D (or other settlement software), as well as the ability to develop and execute designs using spreadsheets and MATHCAD, strongly desired
- Ability to independently complete proposal preparation and develop geotechnical data/engineering reports, required
- Experience with the review of other's work for compliance with project technical requirements as applied on project submittals, required
- Ability to independently complete and/or coordinate analyses associated with settlement, slope stability and embankment design, foundation design, retaining wall design, lateral deep foundation response, required
- Project Management experience a plus.
- Strong oral and written communication skills and ability to work in a team environment.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Successful candidate will have an attitude and commitment to being an active participant of our employee-owned culture.
At HDR, we know work isn't only about who you work for; it's also about what you do and how you do it. Led by the strength of our values and a culture shaped by employee ownership, we network with each other, build on each other's contributions, and collaborate together to make great things possible. When you join HDR, we give you license to do the same. We help you take charge of your career, giving you multiple growth opportunities along the way.