GitLab's DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 1,400+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute.
Fullstack Engineers at GitLab work in the Growth department, which analyzes the entire customer journey from acquisition of a customer, to the flow across multiple GitLab features, and even reactivation of lost users. They work in small groups with a product manager, Product designer and a data analyst in order to scale GitLab usage by connecting users to the existing value that GitLab already delivers.
Fullstack Engineers will work across the backend (Ruby on Rails), and frontend (Vue.js) parts of our application. Due to the nature of our tech stack, the volume and complexity of work is weighted more strongly towards backend, rather than frontend.
Important: Within the Engineering division, the Fullstack Engineer job title is only used within the Growth department, not within other departments/teams. The reason for this is that the Growth department has a need for both Frontend and Backend skillsets, but as a small team, has optimized for team member efficiency to adopt the Fullstack role.Job Grade
The Fullstack Engineer is a grade 6. The Senior Fullstack Engineer is a grade 7. The Staff Fullstack Engineer is a grade 8.Responsibilities
- Develop features and improvements to the GitLab product in a secure, well-tested, and performant way
- Analyze and interpret highly complex data to arrive at actionable recommendations
- Collaborate with Product Management and other stakeholders within Engineering (e.g. UX) to maintain a high bar for quality in a fast-paced, iterative environment
- Advocate for improvements to product quality, security, and performance
- Solve technical problems of moderate scope and complexity.
- Craft code that meets our internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices for a high-scale web environment. Maintain and advocate for these standards through code review.
- Represent GitLab and its values in public communication around specific projects and community contributions.
- Confidently ship small features and improvements with minimal guidance and support from other team members. Collaborate with the team on larger projects.
- Participate in Tier 2 or Tier 3 weekday and weekend and occasional night on-call rotations to assist troubleshooting product operations, security operations, and urgent engineering issues.
- Professional experience with Ruby and Rails
- Proficiency in the English language, both written and verbal, sufficient for success in a remote and largely asynchronous work environment
- Demonstrated capacity to clearly and concisely communicate about complex technical, architectural, and/or organizational problems and propose thorough iterative solutions
- Experience with performance and optimization problems and a demonstrated ability to both diagnose and prevent these problems
- Comfort working in a highly agile, intensely iterative software development process
- Demonstrated ability to onboard and integrate with an organization long-term
- Positive and solution-oriented mindset
- Effective communication skills: Regularly achieve consensus with peers, and clear status updates
- An inclination towards communication, inclusion, and visibility
- Experience owning a project from concept to production, including proposal, discussion, and execution.
- Self-motivated and self-managing, with strong organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work closely with other parts of the organization
- Share our values, and work in accordance with those values
- Ability to use GitLab
- Ability to thrive in a fully remote organization
- Experience working with modern frontend frameworks (eg. React, Vue.js, Angular)
- Experience in a peak performance organization, preferably a tech startup
- Experience with the GitLab product as a user or contributor
- Product company experience
- Experience working with a remote team
- Enterprise software company experience
- Developer platform/tool industry experience
- Experience working with a global or otherwise multicultural team
- Computer science education or equivalent experience
- Passionate about/experienced with open source and developer tools
- Product Vision - Growth
- Engineering Handbook
- Engineering Workflow
Country Hiring Guidelines
GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.