Rebellion Defense builds mission-focused AI products for the defense and security of the United States, the United Kingdom, and our allies. We are a well capitalized, venture-backed technology company that creates software which transforms data into decision advantage.
Our people are passionate about creating a company where technologists empower our military and civil servants to solve some of the hardest problems in government. Rebellion Defense is driven by our mission — but a set of core values binds us together: we hire by them, operate through them, and uphold them in every decision we make for ourselves and for our customers.
Your Rebel Team
The engineering team is focused on building powerful, automated products that apply artificial intelligence to analyze, secure, and transfer national security data to deliver decision advantages to our customers. Rebellion products are built to transform three critical national security challenges: How can the DoD/MoD better analyze the vast streams of data, better secure critical systems, and better share information across disparate systems to accelerate awareness and decision-making?
Hiring Manager information:
This role reports to Marianne Bellotti, the Engineer Manager. Marianne is the author of "Kill It With Fire: Manage Aging Computer Systems (and Future Proof Modern Ones)". She built data infrastructure for the United Nations and ran teams to rescue critical systems at United States Digital Service for four years.
How you’ll make a difference in this role:
Core Services builds the tooling that supports other Rebellion engineering teams. Part of that is making it ridiculously easy to maintain disciplined, mature, engineering practices. The person hired for this role will help integrate formal verification practices into how Rebellion systems are designed, monitored and triaged. Our intention is to productionize research exploring how model checking, symbolic execution and program synthesis can be used to improve how engineers understand code, how they debug it and how to achieve effective testing and observability.
What your mission is:
- Work with engineering teams to formally specify their systems, coordinating with Observability to develop heuristics derived from metrics, and execute department-wide incident response gamedays
- Take a lead role in designing developer tooling with an emphasis on opportunities to incorporate formal methods.
- Be a shared resource during general architecture conversations, ready to model different approaches and help facilitate good decisions.
- Contribute to the development of APIs and backend services as needed
You may be fit for this role if your expertise aligns to:
- You have proficiency in at least one formal verification or specification language: TLA+, Alloy, Coq, Z3, etc.
- You have experience working as a software engineer on production systems. Experience with Go and gRPC is a big plus.
- You enjoy finding new and interesting ways to break systems and advocate for a testing toolkit to include property testing, mutation testing, and other formats
- You’re passionate about developer experience and high quality tooling.
- You have a track record of working collaboratively with engineering teams either as a consultant, in a role that typically requires embedding (test engineer, SRE, etc), or as a technical lead
The Nature of our Work:
We are driving fast change to an extremely regulated industry. Many of the national security programs that are supported by Rebellion’s products operate in secure environments and access to those spaces and the data in them may require an active personnel security clearance. It is a requirement of this position that you are able to obtain and hold a personnel security clearance at the right level.
Our commitment to candidate experience:
- We are a team of advocates for our candidates while building a fair and equitable process.
- Our team empowers our candidates, business partners, and each other through transparency, honesty, and empathy.
- We are committed to hiring a unique and diverse team with the shared vision that Rebellion is the go-to AI suite for national defense and security.
Our Interview Process:
- To start, you’ll have an initial 30 minute conversation with one of our amazing recruiters to learn more about you and your career goals.
- Next, you’ll dive deeper into your background and expertise with the Hiring Manager for 30-45 minutes
- Lastly, you will have the opportunity to meet with members across our team for competency focused interviews covering both technical aspects of the role and our company culture.
What we offer you:
- An opportunity to be a part of something bigger; a mission with real impact
- A chance to be a part of a people-first team
- Robust career growth and advancement opportunities
- A comprehensive range of benefits that are fair, equitable, and competitive that include the following:
- Company-paid, full coverage, inclusive health care (Medical, Dental Vision) for you and your family.
- Flexible Paid Time Off
- Annual Vacation Bonus
- Generous Parental Leave
- Stock option grants
- Retirement & Savings Plan with company match
An Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled.
Rebellion Defense is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit and business needs. Rebellion Defense does not discriminate against applicants on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other protected characteristic in accordance with federal, state, and local law.