GitLab's DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 1,400+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute.
This Engineering Productivity Engineer (DevOps) position is 100% remote.
It's an exciting time to join our team. GitLab's DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 1,400+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute.
As an Engineering Productivity Engineer at GitLab, you will be responsible for measuring and optimizing the developer feedback loop using iteration to improve workflow efficiency for GitLab projects. The team uses a quantified approach to identify improvements and measure results of changes and experiments.
The Engineering Productivity team is responsible for reducing pipeline cost, reducing pipeline duration, and increasing pipeline stability for GitLab projects. We focus on projects with the largest reach, leveraging GitLab features wherever possible.
The team aims to improve engineering workflow automation for internal and wider community contributions to decrease mean time to merge, decrease bug open past SLO, and time to triage for new issues.
The culture here at GitLab is something we’re incredibly proud of. Some of the benefits you’ll be entitled to vary by region or country you’re in. However, all GitLab team members are fully remote and receive a "no ask, must tell" paid-time-off policy, where we don’t count the number of days you take off annually -- instead, we focus on your results. You can work the hours you choose, enabled by our asynchronous approach to communication. You can also expect stock options and a competitive salary. Our compensation calculator will be shared with selected candidates before any interview.
We are committed to your career growth. We have quarterly career development check-ins and ensure time and focus are set aside for learning activities. Additionally, we offer 10k USD per year Growth and Development benefit for those who want to further their growth with professional courses, programs, or conferences.
Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DIB) are fundamental to the success of GitLab. We want to infuse DIB in every way possible and in all that we do. We strive to create a transparent environment where all team members around the world feel that their voices are heard and welcomed. We also aim to be a place where people can show up as their full selves each day and contribute their best. With more than 100,000 organizations using GitLab, our goal is to have a team that is representative of our users.What you'll do in this role:
- Build automated measurements and dashboards to gain insights into the productivity of the Engineering organization to identify opportunities for improvement.
- Increase contributor and developer productivity by making measurement-driven improvements to the development tools / workflow / processes, then monitor the results, and iterate.
- Dogfood GitLab product features to improve developer workflow and provide feedback to product teams.
- Participate in activities related to Engineering throughput and Quality KPIs
- Develop automated processes for improving label classification hygiene in support of product and engineering workflows.
- Increase efficiency for wider GitLab Community contributions
- Enhance and add new features to the GitLab product to improve engineer productivity
- Experience developing in Ruby (this is a strict requirement).
- Experience with test automation frameworks for both front-end and back-end testing.
- Experience in designing and developing tools and solutions used across teams.
- Development experience in object-oriented programming languages and patterns.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experience with a front-end charting/visualization library.
- Experience using test automation tools. (Selenium, Capybara, Watir).
- Experience using Continuous Integration systems (e.g., GitLab CI, Jenkins, Travis).
- Experience using Docker and containerized architectures (e.g. Kubernetes).
Interested candidates may find these resources insightful:
- Engineering Productivity at GitLab
- Productivity Engineering at Netflix
- Engineering Productivity at Google
- Engineering Productivity at LinkedIn
- Effective Engineering Productivity
- QA is Not Enough: You Need to Engineer Productivity
We're aware the confidence gap exists so we want to encourage you to apply even if you do not match all of the requirements exactly. The above list is intended to show the kinds of experience and qualities we're looking for. It is not a complete list of pre-required skills.
Our hiring process for this Backend Engineer, Engineering Productivity position typically follows six stages. The details of this process can be found on our job family page.
Country Hiring Guidelines
GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.