Engineering Manager at Sittercity
Sittercity, a Bright Horizons company, is a technology platform working to reimagine the child care industry. Finding, hiring and managing high-quality, trustworthy and enriching child care has never been simple, for parents or caregivers. We want to change that. At Sittercity, you can imagine and create solutions that will revolutionize a multi-billion industry and bring relief to parents and care providers alike, all while having a lot of fun! Boost your career as we launch into our next phase of growth and help build a platform that changes the way child care works.
As an Engineering Manager at Sittercity, you’ll attract, develop and grow a high-performing engineering team for our Organic, Marketplace, and Growth squads. You will collaborate with product, marketing, analytics, Customer Success, and engineering teams to develop and deliver products that are scalable and reliable. This is an exciting opportunity to drive growth in the category by executing on our technical vision and product roadmap. We’re looking for a leader who is equally passionate about hiring, mentoring, and leading engineers as they are solving complex problems.
- Collaborate with other teams to help plan and prioritize product and technical roadmaps. Lead the execution and delivery of the roadmaps by helping the team understand the larger context of their work, and by supporting your team members.
- Attract, develop and retain a high-performing team, offering ongoing feedback, professional growth opportunities, and overall career guidance.
- Champion communication and trust between cross-functional teams.
- Drive technical and strategic vision of the team and help translate day-to-day issues into coherent and robust systems.
- Ensure the timely delivery of engineering initiatives while continually raising the performance and quality bar.
- Foster a collaborative and inclusive team that helps each other with a willingness to learn.
- Foster best practices in software engineering and agile processes
- 5+ years of experience in software design, application development, and scalable architectures
- Experience building and maintaining applications in a 24/7 production environment
- Professional experience in object oriented application languages, RDMS, caching solutions, message/queuing protocols/systems, API design and development
- Experience hiring, mentoring, coaching, and developing top engineering talent
- Successful track record of managing small agile development teams
- Strong communication skills with the ability to understand and explain complex technical issues to non-technical audiences
- Ability to provide honest, direct, and actionable feedback to the team and follow up with relevant coaching and guidance
- Experience with Ruby on Rails and Go are nice to have.
Recognized as a Chicago Innovation Award winner and one of the best places to work by Crain’s and Built In Chicago, we offer an inclusive, innovative, and fun environment that rewards passionate and curious individuals. You will receive the following benefits:
- Support for flexible and remote working environments
- Generous paid time off policy, including sick and holiday
- Industry leading parental leave
- Health, dental, vision, disability, life, and 401(k) matching
- Sittercity membership, back up child/adult/elder care, and child care center discounts
- Tuition assistance, college coach, and enhanced family support
- Company events, social outings, and volunteer opportunities
Sittercity is committed to hiring a diverse workforce. We consider all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital or familial status, childbirth (including pregnancy) or related medical conditions including but not limited to lactation, or any other basis as prohibited by federal, state or local law. Sittercity participates in E-Verify and background checks all employees.