Engineering Manager at Mainstay
Who We Are
Mainstay is the world’s first AI-powered chatbot purpose-built to provide the resources, information, and self-motivations to nudge students—regardless of where they are in the process—toward taking the next step in their learning journey. Our solutions are backed by rigorous efficacy studies and student outcomes research. With nearly 200 university enterprise customers and ~5M student users, we’re proud to be VC-backed by Google and Salesforce.
At Mainstay, we believe one conversation can spark a brighter future. Our Engagement Platform makes it easy for colleges and businesses to start and measure conversations that drive action at scale. From our rigorous research methods to our Behavioral Intelligence framework — everything we do is designed to help people take the next step toward achieving their goals.
About the Role
We're seeking an Engineering Manager to help drive the technical vision and lead our product engineering teams. As a manager, you see the team as your product.You will own the delivery of product commitments and are always looking to improve productivity. While you will be technically credible and will need to know the details of what engineers work on, your time will be spent safeguarding the team’s health, hiring and developing a world-class team, and putting them in the best position to succeed. You will also coordinate closely with leaders in product, machine learning, architecture & infrastructure, and data to accomplish collaborative goals. You may be given ambiguous problems with the implicit goal of gaining clarity and driving execution and direction.
What You'll Do
- Motivate and communicate across multiple levels of your department
- Prioritize hiring efforts to focus on areas of most need and quickly recruit top engineering talent
- Have successful peer partnerships with other functional leaders within Engineering and cross-functionally (Product, Sales, Marketing, HR, Business Operations, etc.)
- Provide a consistent/successful interface between Engineering Development and Product Management
- Develop, measure, and manage key metrics for the group’s performance
- Drive high throughput
- Standardize the development process where needed while allowing local differences where advantageous
What You’ll Have
- 8+ years of experience, 3+ years managing a team of engineers
- Technical skills; we expect managers of engineers to have the technical skills of at least a senior engineer and a willingness to roll up your sleeves if necessary
- Excellent communication skills
- Hiring manager skills and experience
- A well developed people management philosophy for managers and engineers
- Agile project management skills
- Commitment to understand, communicate and improve the quality of multiple teams
- Humble, servant leader
- Familiarity with the principles of the DevOps movement
- A bias towards pragmatism over idealism and dogmatism
Mainstay is committed to creating a company where all employees regardless of background can show up and feel they belong. This is an ongoing journey. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or fitness level.