Next Insurance is a fast-growing startup based in Silicon Valley that is led by a team of experienced entrepreneurs with a history of successful outcomes. Our mission is to transform insurance for small businesses by combining world-class technology and phenomenal customer service to offer better insurance at a lower price. As the leading digital insurtech company transforming small business insurance, we just announced a $250 million new funding round, bringing the company’s valuation to $4 billion and total funding raised to more than $880 million!
Next Insurance is looking for explorers who are filled with curiosity, have the desire to travel the unbeaten path, and realize new heights in providing small business owners with the peace of mind to run their businesses. If you move fast, and are customer-focused and willing to challenge the status quo, Next Insurance might just be your next journey.
We are looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to lead and scale our skilled team of Backend Software Engineers. Are you an engineering manager who is passionate about developers’ and managers’ professional growth? Do you care about the engineering processes that empower engineers to thrive at their job, all while delivering an amazing product? NEXT constantly strives to improve our processes, best practices, and engineering standards to facilitate our rapid scaling.
What You’ll Do:
- Lead and grow a group of passionate, talented engineers
- Lead the development of a business-critical system using modern backend technologies and methodologies
- Ship with your group stable production grade microservices
- Institute development best practices to ensure the team produces high-quality, well-architected, and maintainable code
- Lead code and architecture design reviews, ensuring there is a healthy balance between features and technical debt
- Collaborate on roadmaps with Product Managers, Architects, Tech Leads, and other stakeholders to ensure the group has clear direction and priorities
- Manage employee career development by providing coaching and mentoring, following our continuous performance loop, and collaborating with employees on their personal development plan
What We Need:
- 10+ years of experience as an engineer yourself with hands-on experience developing and scaling complex software systems, including building microservices, CI/CD pipelines, and tests automation
- 3+ years of experience managing managers or fast-growing teams with the ability to mentor and develop individuals with a proven scaling strategy
- A strong product and architectural vision with a demonstrated ability to collaborate, communicate, advocate, and execute on that vision
- Ability to build and evolve engineering processes that help teams successfully deliver the product
- Communication skills that help you to build trust, resolve conflicts, and provide feedback to your team
- Experience working with a startup and/or SaaS product
- You have experience with working with remote teams
- Experience with the Java/JVM stack and familiarity with Kotlin
One of our core values is 'Play as a Team'; this means making sure everyone has an equal chance to participate and make a difference. We win by playing together. Next Insurance is an equal opportunity employer and prioritizes building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants of any type and do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state, and local laws. Next's policy is to comply with all applicable laws related to nondiscrimination and equal opportunity and will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.