Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn't work together.
So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions - to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, offer buy now, pay later functionality through Afterpay, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we've embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes - large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We're building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
As Square has grown, so have our sellers - going from businesses with just a few employees to many (sometimes hundreds or thousands!). Square Staff represents access management, labor management, payroll, and communications tools that enable business owners, managers, and employees to thrive together. We provide valuable insights to sellers using data from our ecosystem to help them make informed decisions about their workforce. We aspire to eliminate the hours of weekly drudgery that sellers and team members expend, staying aligned and providing tools to build better relationships between employers and employees. We are building the most intelligent back office software available anywhere, boosted by our ecosystem of data, 360-degree view of the business, and direct relationship with all team members. Square Staff helps give our sellers the peace of mind that their business is running smoothly, even if they're not physically present.
As an Engineering Manager on the team, you will be responsible for driving the technical direction of the team, managing product goals, and contributing to product strategy. You will work with leaders across the company and collaborate with world-class product managers and designers to move quickly towards delivering and scaling a remarkable product for small business owners. Operating with scale and speed, we're proud to have built an exceptional team of engineers who can have the largest impact for our existing and potential customers - and as a manager, you guide the way.
To learn more about the Square Staff products: https://squareup.com/us/en/staff
- Help set broad direction and vision for the team while implementing delightful experiences for our sellers
- Build a world-class team by coaching and developing your team, cultivating pragmatic engineering decision-making, and leveraging your technical expertise to raise the bar constantly.
- Lead and participate in critical technical, design, and product discussions with leaders across our product and operations.
- Own the success of your team's product and deliver quantifiable results in a timely manner.
- Build systems, services, and product features across multiple platforms that have an immediate impact on customers.
- 7+ years of software development experience
- 2+ years of experience managing teams of up to 10 engineers
- Experience in managing full-stack teams, including senior ICs and potential leaders
- Strong technical background in developing user-facing products.
- Experience in building products or plugins/add-ons for a distributed ecosystem
- Ability to lead and cultivate a sense of ownership, accountability & urgency in the team
- Experience collaborating with engineering leaders and cross-functional team members
- Ability to provide technical mentorship and guidance to the team
Technologies we use and teach
- iOS - Swift
- Android - Kotlin
- Kotlin, Java, Ruby on Rails
- React, Ember.js
- MySQL, DynamoDB
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate's starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $222,800 - USD $272,300
Zone B: USD $211,600 - USD $258,600
Zone C: USD $200,500 - USD $245,100
Zone D: USD $189,400 - USD $231,400
To find a location's zone designation, please refer to this resource . If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We're working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we're doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page .
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.