Engineering Manager, SRE Infrastructure at Cisco Meraki (South Bay or Remote)
Meraki is making IT easier, faster, and smarter with technology that simply works. Our full stack teams build and maintain features, frameworks, and tools to craft an excellent user experience in Meraki’s Dashboard. We operate across Meraki’s entire product line, from firewalls, switches, and wireless routers to security cameras and application analytics. Dashboard drastically simplifies the process of deploying and configuring distributed networks, enabling customers to debug networking issues in real time from anywhere. Its rich data visualizations help users detect trends in network traffic and foot traffic alike. Meraki Engineers put the customer experience first, own projects from beginning to end, and are problem solvers.
The SRE Infrastructure team is responsible for the storage, security, and virtualization technologies underpinning Meraki's cloud in 10 datacenters around the world. Automation, virtualization, and a keen eye for technical debt is key: Meraki's high growth rate means our processes must be automatic and efficient; never driven manually!
As a manager at Meraki, you will guide architectural leadership, teach good code review and design practices, and focus relentlessly on quality and automation. You will link your team's goals to the wider organization by telling stories that empower and inspire. You will be a strong mentor, nurturing a collaborative environment where your team can do their best work. You will have opinions about the direction of engineering at Meraki, and will directly contribute to the rapid evolution of our platform.Example projects as an SRE Engineering Manager:
- Lead the team and hold regular one-on-ones; ongoing coaching and mentorship, writing performance evaluations, and compensation planning. Grow staff into tech leads or managers, according to their chosen track.
- Helping your team navigate between in-house solutions and open source products; striking a balance between self-learning, formal training, conferences, and commercial support.
- Be an advocate for security standards and quality in the tools and processes that your team develops.
- Build a respectful and inclusive team culture.
- Be a champion for SRE practices within your own team and across the wider engineering organization. Create tight links with other teams that consume your services, and agree metrics to measure performance. Work with other engineering managers to grow our culture of automation and reliability.
- Develop and own a roadmap to rapidly improve automation, grow the team, build out a hybrid cloud, and migrate bare-metal workloads into virtualized or containerized infrastructure.
- You are interested in a leadership role because it allows you to work closely with others to help them achieve their best.
- You have 2+ years of experience leading a team of 3+ people, and are looking for an opportunity to grow a larger team, including mentoring junior managers.
- You have proven experience in infrastructure management in large Linux-based environments, virtualization technologies such as VMWare or Openstack, and automation of manual workflows using scripting languages such as Python or Ruby.
- You have formal project management qualifications, or experience successfully leading large, multi-team projects.
- You have experience working in a fast-growing organization, balancing time to market, usability, reliability, and technical debt.
- You believe that development and operations are best carried out in close co-operation; all our teams are developers, and own what they create.
- You are never satisfied by just seeing something work. Your curiosity drives you to peek behind the curtain to gain a deeper understanding of what’s going on.
- You can demonstrate experience building and operating large, complicated distributed systems that service internal and external customers.
At Cisco Meraki, we’re challenging the status quo with the power of diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. When we connect different perspectives, we can imagine new possibilities, inspire innovation, and release the full potential of our people. We’re building an employee experience that includes appreciation, belonging, growth, and purpose for everyone.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Cisco Covid-19 Vaccination Policy
The health and safety of Cisco's employees, customers, and partners is a top priority. Our goal is to protect and mitigate the spread of COVID-19 infection for strong business resiliency during the pandemic. Therefore, Cisco may require new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 if the role requires business-related travel, meeting with customers/partners (including visiting third-party sites on behalf of Cisco), attending trade events, and Cisco office entry, unless otherwise prohibited by applicable law, and in countries where COVID-19 vaccination is legally required. The company will consider legally required accommodations/exceptions for medical, religious, and other reasons as per the requirements of the role and in accordance with applicable law. Additional information will be provided to candidates about the requirements and accommodation process at the offer time based on region.