GitLab's DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 1,400+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute.
This role is fully remote based. Preference to candidates from the Americas or APAC region due to the current team distribution.
The Engineering Manager, Scalability directly manages the engineering team responsible for GitLab and GitLab.com at scale, working on the highest priority scalability items in the application in close coordination with other Infrastructure and Development teams and providing feedback to other Engineering teams so they can become better at scalability as well. Team mandate is described in the team handbook and it consists of Backend Engineers and Frontend Engineers.Responsibilities
- Hire an incredible team that lives our values
- Improve the happiness and productivity of the team
- Hold regular 1:1's with team members
- Drive scalability initiatives of GitLab and GitLab.com, and coordinate with the Development Department through the Availability and Scalability Board
- Manage agile projects
- Work across sections within Engineering
- Improve the scalability of the product
- Work on small changes outside of the critical path
- 2+ years managing software engineering teams
- Strong technical background
- Demonstrated teamwork in a peak performance organization
- Experience running a consumer scale platform
- Product company experience
- Enterprise software company experience
- Computer science education or equivalent experience
- Exquisite communication skills
- Leadership at GitLab
- Remote work experience
- Online community participation
- Remote work experience
- Startup experience
- Passionate about open source and developer tools
- Significant open source contributions
Learn more about the Engineering Management - Infrastructure roles, including compensation at the engineering management - infrastructure page.
Learn more about the team, including the team vision, key metrics, etc., in the team handbook.Compensation
To view the full job description and its compensation calculator, view our handbook. The compensation calculator can be found towards the bottom of the page.
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.