Engineering Manager, Product - Invest at M1 (Chicago, IL)
Who we are
M1 Finance has created a personal wealth-building platform made for the modern era, uniting personal perspective and automated ease. We seamlessly combine free investing, low cost borrowing and digital checking all in one intuitive, automated Finance Super App, and we’re driven by a mission to empower personal financial well-being. We believe that financial well-being is fundamental to overall well-being, and we strive to deliver products that are simpler, smarter, and stronger than those created by our competitors.
Our clients have already trusted us with over $6 billion of assets, we’re currently helping hundreds of thousands of people grow and manage their wealth with our industry-leading automation and tools, and we’re adding thousands of new clients every day.
We’re looking for passionate people who want to improve and build on what we’ve created and take responsibility to help others build something meaningful and sustainable for their futures.
We mean it when we say, “M1 is yours to build.”
If this sounds interesting to you, read on.
What we are looking for
Invest was the first product M1 launched to the public in 2016. Since then, it has grown to billions in assets under management for hundreds of thousands of customers. Its goal from the very beginning is to make investing simple, automated, and delightful.
Our Invest team is responsible for continuing to drive that mission forward. We are the team that scopes, refines, builds, and ships new and improved product experiences to provide a better investing experience for our customers. Invest is the primary way customers find and initially engage with M1 and providing an excellent experience is crucial to the success of the organization. We're hiring for our headquarters in Chicago, our office in Salt Lake City, and remotely across the US.
As a Product Engineering Manager, you should bring
- 2+ years engineering management experience.
- Managed teams that have shipped complex, consumer-facing products.
- Ability to think critically about engineering and product tradeoffs and communicate those tradeoffs to other leaders on the team.
- Engineering acumen to guide architecture and implementation decisions.
What you'll do
- Work and manage a highly visible team on the most popular M1 product
- Work cross-functionally with core brokerage engineering and product management to determine both short- and long-term vision for the Invest product
- Support the engineering team to achieve a high degree of technical excellence
- Develop team processes with the goal of shipping high quality features quickly, with an eye towards long-term sustainability
- Mentor, coach, and grow your team
- Be a part of company-wide engineering initiatives
It'd be great if you have
- Experience and a passion for consumer fintech
Our team embodies our eight core principles and if these principles speak to you – we’d love to talk with you.
- Mission Driven: We will passionately apply ourselves to deliver immense value to our customers, knowing if they succeed, so too will the company.
- Extreme Ownership: We think and act like owners. Our focus is on building long-term value, not scoring short-term marks. We own everything in our domain, including the outcome and everything that affects it.
- Boldness: We want to do things of consequence. Make a difference. We would rather fail at something meaningful than succeed at something trivial.
- Bias for action: The best way to make progress is to act.
- Economical: Efficiency is important, and we consider both the costs and benefits of our actions.
- Team-oriented: In working together, we maintain a low ego, make everyone feel welcome, assume good intent, trust one another, and seek out different perspectives. We empower our teammates to be at their best.
- Challenged, but not overwhelmed: We are curious people who always want to grow. Growth happens outside our comfort zone. We achieve our potential through consistent, manageable growth.
- Integrity: We do the right thing. When we make mistakes, we own and correct them. We would be proud of our actions are shared with our family, friends, and strangers. Everyone can count on us to act according to our values, beliefs, and principles we state we hold. This trust must never be broken.
- Unlimited PTO
- Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- Stock options for all employees
- Retirement benefit with employer match
- $500 to spend on home office equipment while working from home
- Stylish M1 swag
- Socially distant team outings, celebrations, and events
- Transparent and open communication
- Office in the Loop with a Game Room and Gym